08 November 2005, 10:13
Communists protest plans to remove Lenin's body from Mausoleum
Moscow, November 8, Interfax - Events marking the 88th anniversary of the
1917 October Revolution were held nationwide in Russia on Monday with
slogans ranging from protests against the removal of Vladimir Lenin's body
from the Mausoleum to demands that November 7 be restored as a national
Massive rallies were held in the Far East. About 500 demonstrators, most
of them elderly people, gathered on Lenin Square in Khabarovsk to criticize
what they called "anti-democratic reforms pursued by the Russian
leadership," an Interfax correspondent reported.
Speakers also angrily condemned the idea of burying Lenin's body. After
the rally, the demonstrators marched along the central street to the
accompaniment of a band.
About 60 Communist Party members and their sympathizers organized a rally
in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, and about 600 people marched along Lenin Avenue in
Yakutsk. The demonstrators carried posters reflecting the occasion.
Events were also held in Tomsk and Yekaterinburg.
Celebrations were more large-scale in the Volga region.
Over 6,000 people joined rallies and marches in Samara region.
Participants in the massive events sent a telegram to the Russian leadership
protesting plans to remove Lenin's body from the Mausoleum.
But a Communist picket in Ufa near the headquarters of the Bashkortostan
government, was dispersed by police after a bomb threat call was received,
said Ufa Communist party chief Alexander Sakhalin.
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04