06 December 2008, 18:23
Metropolitan Kirill elected interim head of Russian Church
Moscow, December 6, Interfax - Kirill, the Metropolitan of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, was elected on Saturday as the interim head of the Russian Orthodox Church after Patriarch Alexy II died on Friday.
Kirill, 62, was elected at an urgent meeting of the Holy Synod at the countryside patriarchal residence in Peredelkino outside Moscow, the External Church Relations Department of the Moscow Patriarchate told the Interfax-Religion.
The metropolitan will remain locum tenens up until the election of the new Patriarch that cannot be called earlier than in six months' time.
Metropolitan Kirill (secular name Vladimir Mikhailovich Gundyaev) was born in Leningrad (now St.Petersburg) on 20 November 1946 into the family of a priest.
After graduation from the secondary school he entered the Leningrad Theological Seminary in 1965 and then the Leningrad Theological Academy, which he finished in 1970.
Tonsured by Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov) of Leningrad and Novgorod with monastic name of Kirill on 3 April 1969, ordained hierodeacon on April 7 and hieromonk on June 1 that same year.
1970-71 - lecturer of dogmatic theology, assistant inspector of the Leningrad Theological Academy and Seminary, private secretary of Metropolitan Nikodim of Leningrad and Novgorod and form-master of the 1st class of the Seminary.
Elevated to the rank of Archimandrite on 12 September 1971.
1971-74 - representative of the Moscow Patriarchate at the World Council of Churches (WCC) in Geneva.
26 December 1974 to 26 December 1984 - Rector of the Leningrad Theological Academy and Seminary.
Consecrated Bishop of Vyborg on 14 March 1976 and elevated to the rank of Archbishop on 2 September 1977.
Appointed Bishop of Smolensk and Vyazma on 26 December 1984 and Administrator of the parishes in the Kaliningrad diocese in 1986.
1988 to the present day - Archbishop of Smolensk and Kaliningrad.
13 November 1989 to the present day - chairman of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate (DECR MP) and permanent member of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
25 February 1991 - elevated to the rank of Metropolitan.
At present Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad is Permanent member of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church from 1989; Chairman of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate from 1989; Honorary President of the World Conference on Religion and Peace from 1994; Member of the Presidium of the Interreligious Council of Russia from 1998.
- Lavrov on Kiev's decision to block the UN Security Council's statement on the death of Churkin: it's not Christian 21 February 2017, 14:25
- Renowned elder Archimandrite Kirill (Pavlov) passes away 21 February 2017, 13:28
- Priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church attacked in the Odessa Region 20 February 2017, 17:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Orthodox Church warns Russians against militaristic rhetoric 20 February 2017, 10:01
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47
- Syria's grand mufti invites Patriarch Kirill to hold interreligious conference 10 February 2017, 16:59
- Patriarch of Georgia will be operated in Germany on February 13 10 February 2017, 14:49
- Prayer service for peace in Syria held in Damascus 09 February 2017, 10:23
- Russian aid helps tens of thousands of Christians stay in Aleppo - Patriarch John X 09 February 2017, 10:00
- FJCR president surprised with accusations against Sochi rabbi, hopes for positive outcome 07 February 2017, 20:10
- Christians of Syria pray for Putin's health and invite Patriarch Kirill 07 February 2017, 15:16
- Fashion expert calls Islamic influence the most powerful trend in today's fashion 06 February 2017, 14:47