06 December 2008, 22:43
The date of Alexy II decease symbolic
Moscow, December 6, Interfax – Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia died on the eve of the Day of St. Alexander Nevsky while certain important milestones in his biography were connected with this saint, Interfax-Religion reports.
Thus, the first responsible task given to a 16-year old Hipodeacon Alexy in 1945 was to prepare Tallinn Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky to an opening ceremony.
Archimandrite Alexy was consecrated to Bishop of Tallinn and Estonia in this cathedral sixteen years later in 1961. Then Bishop Alexy (future Patriarch) didn't let Soviet authorities close St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
Many years later, Alexy II insisted on bringing back relics of St. Alexander Nevsky from the Museum of Religion to St. Alexander Nevsky Laura and it became a very important event for the whole Church.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens noted that Alexander Nevsky left his mark in the history as a "man who struggled for kneeled down Russia, fought for Orthodoxy and won a victory as he didn't allow dividing the country and the Church."
"Thus, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy didn't allow dividing the Russian Orthodox Church," Head of the Union Moscow division Kirill Frolov said.
Saying that Alexy II passed away next day after the feast of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin into the Temple, he stressed that "the whole epoch of Patriarch Alexy was presentation of Russia into the Church, and today we can say that our Primate has brilliantly fulfilled the main task of his life."
- Lawyer appeals court ban of Male State 26 October 2021, 16:55
- Lukashenko said it would be un-Christian to refuse to sell electricity to Lithuania and Ukraine 26 October 2021, 15:26
- Scythian gold may be kept at Sophia of Kiev sanctuary 26 October 2021, 15:13
- Russian Church assured that vaccination won't be mandatory for its priests 25 October 2021, 12:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for mandating Covid-19 vaccination for clerics 25 October 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill calls the Gospel the best consulting for a modern person 25 October 2021, 11:52
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses arrested in Moscow for involving people in activities of extremist organization 25 October 2021, 11:40
- Russian synagogues don't plan to close during upcoming non-working days 22 October 2021, 17:48
- Putin asking Western civilization 'to steer clear of our home' 21 October 2021, 20:33
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21