06 December 2008, 22:43
The date of Alexy II decease symbolic
Moscow, December 6, Interfax – Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia died on the eve of the Day of St. Alexander Nevsky while certain important milestones in his biography were connected with this saint, Interfax-Religion reports.
Thus, the first responsible task given to a 16-year old Hipodeacon Alexy in 1945 was to prepare Tallinn Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky to an opening ceremony.
Archimandrite Alexy was consecrated to Bishop of Tallinn and Estonia in this cathedral sixteen years later in 1961. Then Bishop Alexy (future Patriarch) didn't let Soviet authorities close St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
Many years later, Alexy II insisted on bringing back relics of St. Alexander Nevsky from the Museum of Religion to St. Alexander Nevsky Laura and it became a very important event for the whole Church.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens noted that Alexander Nevsky left his mark in the history as a "man who struggled for kneeled down Russia, fought for Orthodoxy and won a victory as he didn't allow dividing the country and the Church."
"Thus, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy didn't allow dividing the Russian Orthodox Church," Head of the Union Moscow division Kirill Frolov said.
Saying that Alexy II passed away next day after the feast of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin into the Temple, he stressed that "the whole epoch of Patriarch Alexy was presentation of Russia into the Church, and today we can say that our Primate has brilliantly fulfilled the main task of his life."
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14