06 December 2008, 22:43
The date of Alexy II decease symbolic
Moscow, December 6, Interfax – Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia died on the eve of the Day of St. Alexander Nevsky while certain important milestones in his biography were connected with this saint, Interfax-Religion reports.
Thus, the first responsible task given to a 16-year old Hipodeacon Alexy in 1945 was to prepare Tallinn Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky to an opening ceremony.
Archimandrite Alexy was consecrated to Bishop of Tallinn and Estonia in this cathedral sixteen years later in 1961. Then Bishop Alexy (future Patriarch) didn't let Soviet authorities close St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
Many years later, Alexy II insisted on bringing back relics of St. Alexander Nevsky from the Museum of Religion to St. Alexander Nevsky Laura and it became a very important event for the whole Church.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens noted that Alexander Nevsky left his mark in the history as a "man who struggled for kneeled down Russia, fought for Orthodoxy and won a victory as he didn't allow dividing the country and the Church."
"Thus, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy didn't allow dividing the Russian Orthodox Church," Head of the Union Moscow division Kirill Frolov said.
Saying that Alexy II passed away next day after the feast of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin into the Temple, he stressed that "the whole epoch of Patriarch Alexy was presentation of Russia into the Church, and today we can say that our Primate has brilliantly fulfilled the main task of his life."
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58