07 December 2008, 12:43
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia says Alexy II was a historical personality
Moscow, December 7, Interfax – The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condoles with the Russian Orthodox Church in connection with Patriarch Alexy II's decease.
"The great man has died and the whole epoch has passed away with him. Patriarch Alexy II's death is a great loss for the Russian Orthodox Church and for the entire religious community," FJCR President Alexander Boroda said in his address handed over to Interfax-Religion.
"His life was laid on the altar of serving people. Patriarch Alexy II often undertook the mission of peace-maker in times difficult for Russia and his word kept people from unrighteous deeds," the address went on to say.
Its author reminds that the Patriarch came up with peacemaking initiatives on the days of confrontation near the Russian White House in 1993, during the Balkans conflicts, the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan in Nagorny Karabach, military actions in Moldavia, conflicts in the Northern Caucasus and Far East.
"Patriarch Alexy II was not only a great religious figure of the present, but a historical personality as well. It is impossible to imagine new Russia without enormous work on reviving the country that Alexy II carried out during the years of his patriarchal ministry," the Federation President stresses.
The Patriarch paid much attention to interreligious dialogue and good neighborly relations between various religions, Boroda reminds.
According to him, the Jewish world remembers when Alexy met with the group of New York rabbis in 1991 and said: "Your law is our law, your prophets are our prophets."
More than twenty years of Patriarch Alexy's leadership in the Russian Orthodox Church formed and strengthened cooperation between the country's Orthodox world and Jewish community, with Muslim community, with representatives of other religious trends on the questions of social ministry and opposition to various vices of today's society," the FJCR says.
"Jewish tradition says that people who led righteous life don't die as their deeds go on living. Today Alexy II is not with us anymore. But his outstanding deeds have stayed with us as well as the blessed memory of a person who did so much good for Russia," the Federation head summed up his address.
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16
- Group of Duma deputies mulling mentioning of "Orthodoxy's special role" in Russian Constitution 25 November 2013, 10:14
- Priest Grozovsky's trip to Israel officially stopped - diocese 25 November 2013, 10:09