07 December 2008, 12:43
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia says Alexy II was a historical personality
Moscow, December 7, Interfax – The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condoles with the Russian Orthodox Church in connection with Patriarch Alexy II's decease.
"The great man has died and the whole epoch has passed away with him. Patriarch Alexy II's death is a great loss for the Russian Orthodox Church and for the entire religious community," FJCR President Alexander Boroda said in his address handed over to Interfax-Religion.
"His life was laid on the altar of serving people. Patriarch Alexy II often undertook the mission of peace-maker in times difficult for Russia and his word kept people from unrighteous deeds," the address went on to say.
Its author reminds that the Patriarch came up with peacemaking initiatives on the days of confrontation near the Russian White House in 1993, during the Balkans conflicts, the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan in Nagorny Karabach, military actions in Moldavia, conflicts in the Northern Caucasus and Far East.
"Patriarch Alexy II was not only a great religious figure of the present, but a historical personality as well. It is impossible to imagine new Russia without enormous work on reviving the country that Alexy II carried out during the years of his patriarchal ministry," the Federation President stresses.
The Patriarch paid much attention to interreligious dialogue and good neighborly relations between various religions, Boroda reminds.
According to him, the Jewish world remembers when Alexy met with the group of New York rabbis in 1991 and said: "Your law is our law, your prophets are our prophets."
More than twenty years of Patriarch Alexy's leadership in the Russian Orthodox Church formed and strengthened cooperation between the country's Orthodox world and Jewish community, with Muslim community, with representatives of other religious trends on the questions of social ministry and opposition to various vices of today's society," the FJCR says.
"Jewish tradition says that people who led righteous life don't die as their deeds go on living. Today Alexy II is not with us anymore. But his outstanding deeds have stayed with us as well as the blessed memory of a person who did so much good for Russia," the Federation head summed up his address.
- Russian Church content with results of inter-Orthodox meeting in Amman 27 February 2020, 09:58
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27