07 December 2008, 12:43
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia says Alexy II was a historical personality
Moscow, December 7, Interfax – The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condoles with the Russian Orthodox Church in connection with Patriarch Alexy II's decease.
"The great man has died and the whole epoch has passed away with him. Patriarch Alexy II's death is a great loss for the Russian Orthodox Church and for the entire religious community," FJCR President Alexander Boroda said in his address handed over to Interfax-Religion.
"His life was laid on the altar of serving people. Patriarch Alexy II often undertook the mission of peace-maker in times difficult for Russia and his word kept people from unrighteous deeds," the address went on to say.
Its author reminds that the Patriarch came up with peacemaking initiatives on the days of confrontation near the Russian White House in 1993, during the Balkans conflicts, the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan in Nagorny Karabach, military actions in Moldavia, conflicts in the Northern Caucasus and Far East.
"Patriarch Alexy II was not only a great religious figure of the present, but a historical personality as well. It is impossible to imagine new Russia without enormous work on reviving the country that Alexy II carried out during the years of his patriarchal ministry," the Federation President stresses.
The Patriarch paid much attention to interreligious dialogue and good neighborly relations between various religions, Boroda reminds.
According to him, the Jewish world remembers when Alexy met with the group of New York rabbis in 1991 and said: "Your law is our law, your prophets are our prophets."
More than twenty years of Patriarch Alexy's leadership in the Russian Orthodox Church formed and strengthened cooperation between the country's Orthodox world and Jewish community, with Muslim community, with representatives of other religious trends on the questions of social ministry and opposition to various vices of today's society," the FJCR says.
"Jewish tradition says that people who led righteous life don't die as their deeds go on living. Today Alexy II is not with us anymore. But his outstanding deeds have stayed with us as well as the blessed memory of a person who did so much good for Russia," the Federation head summed up his address.
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- Moscow authorities deny authorization to picket near Myanmar embassy 07 September 2017, 12:06
- First Turkish aid to Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims to be delivered Thursday - Turkish Red Crescent head 06 September 2017, 19:08
- Tbilisi court sentences priest found guilty of trying to kill patriarch's secretary to 9 years 05 September 2017, 18:17
- Putin against any violence in Myanmar, does not see Kadyrov's remarks as oppositional, asks everyone to calm down 05 September 2017, 10:41
- Russian, Egyptian presidents concerned about situation in Myanmar – Peskov 04 September 2017, 18:56
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslims to participate only in authorized actions following events in Myanmar 04 September 2017, 18:53
- Over 1 mln join Grozny rally in defense of Myanmar's Muslims – organizers 04 September 2017, 17:42
- Chechnya head ready to speak against Moscow's course if Russia supports Myanmar authorities 04 September 2017, 16:06