09 December 2008, 12:32
Alexy II was "man of planetary scale" - Metropolitan Kirill
Moscow, December 9, Interfax - Metropolitan Kirill, locum of the Moscow Patriarch's chair, has called late Patriarch Alexy II "a man of planetary scale."
"Bringing wreaths to the coffin of the Holiest One, let us bring him our main wreath - our sincere prayers, pour readiness to follow the same path, without stirring up any conflicts or hostility, without trying to establish authority by force, but carrying our hearts to people, opening them to everybody so that the only solid and real connections can be established in response to love like that of Christ the Savior, so that love can prevail and so that peace, prosperity and well-being can prevail together with it," Metropolitan Kirill said during the funeral service for Alexy II held in the Church of Christ the Savior in Moscow.
Under Patriarch Alexy II, the Russian Orthodox Church became "the only force preserving the traditions and values of holy Russia," Metropolitan Kirill stressed.
Patriarch Alexy II "always respected the sovereignty of the countries of the former USSR, but understood that these divisions could not divide the people's single system of values," Metropolitan Kirill said.
"Through his service, the Holiest formed the unity of the holy Russia, and the unity of historical Russia was formed through that," Metropolitan Kirill said.
At the beginning of his service as Patriarch, Alexy II received a weak Church, which was unable to "fully use its spiritual potential," but the Church he left is different, Metropolitan Kirill said.
"It is no longer weak and lives with its people," he said.
"The spiritual became material, and millions of people realized that there can be no human truth without God," Metropolitan Kirill said.
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01
- Islamic party activist held in Samara region 15 January 2015, 17:06
- World Russian People's Council calls for moratorium on publication of caricatures offending religious feelings 14 January 2015, 16:13
- Zabaikalie resident steels a priestly frock and walks along the streets wishing everyone happy holidays 14 January 2015, 15:19
- Church official criticizes attempts to impose false choice between supporting terrorism and Charlie Hebdo policy 14 January 2015, 14:42
- Competition between terrorist organizations can be a motive of terrorist attacks in Paris - religious expert 13 January 2015, 16:18
- Moscow mufti warns against Islamophobia, Prophet caricature reprinting 13 January 2015, 15:24
- Unlike Europe, Russian culture does not allow mockery of religion - MP Pushkov 13 January 2015, 14:18