09 December 2008, 12:32
Alexy II was "man of planetary scale" - Metropolitan Kirill
Moscow, December 9, Interfax - Metropolitan Kirill, locum of the Moscow Patriarch's chair, has called late Patriarch Alexy II "a man of planetary scale."
"Bringing wreaths to the coffin of the Holiest One, let us bring him our main wreath - our sincere prayers, pour readiness to follow the same path, without stirring up any conflicts or hostility, without trying to establish authority by force, but carrying our hearts to people, opening them to everybody so that the only solid and real connections can be established in response to love like that of Christ the Savior, so that love can prevail and so that peace, prosperity and well-being can prevail together with it," Metropolitan Kirill said during the funeral service for Alexy II held in the Church of Christ the Savior in Moscow.
Under Patriarch Alexy II, the Russian Orthodox Church became "the only force preserving the traditions and values of holy Russia," Metropolitan Kirill stressed.
Patriarch Alexy II "always respected the sovereignty of the countries of the former USSR, but understood that these divisions could not divide the people's single system of values," Metropolitan Kirill said.
"Through his service, the Holiest formed the unity of the holy Russia, and the unity of historical Russia was formed through that," Metropolitan Kirill said.
At the beginning of his service as Patriarch, Alexy II received a weak Church, which was unable to "fully use its spiritual potential," but the Church he left is different, Metropolitan Kirill said.
"It is no longer weak and lives with its people," he said.
"The spiritual became material, and millions of people realized that there can be no human truth without God," Metropolitan Kirill said.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01