30 December 2008, 10:01
Patriarch Alexy II urged to live the commandments and seek the truth in his last Christmas message written shortly before his death
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Alexy II wished everyone peace, good health and success in good undertakings in coming New Year in his last Christmas greeting which he prepared, but didn't have a chance to address his flock.
"Don't we often live as we will, leaving out the will of God and His commandments, relying only on human strength and leaving out the strength of God? Don't we replace our aspiration for peace and truth with vanity that leads only to disappointing emptiness?" such questions the Patriarch asked in his message.
He urged to remember, "The peace of Christ conquers the hostility of this century and only having this peace in his heart, a person can keep balance in all every day storms and bring reconciliation to those who are near and far, transfiguring life with faith, truth, purity and love."
Patriarch Alexy wished the peace of Christ could reach both disciples and followers of the Savior (people of various age, nationality, political views and social layers) "and people of other beliefs and convictions as we build up our national life together."
"The world is troubled again. Blood is shed in many places, people are suffering. However, we believe that the Lord will help us, Orthodox Christians, prompt people to reconciliation, to wise and just settlement of all disputes and discords with our good example and action," the Patriarch further said in his message.
In conclusion, Alexy II wishes the words of St. John of Shanghai said in 1938 came true: "Blessed you are, Russian Land, purified with the fire of sufferings! You went through the water of baptism, now you are going through the fire of sufferings, but one day you will reach quietness."
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28