30 December 2008, 10:01
Patriarch Alexy II urged to live the commandments and seek the truth in his last Christmas message written shortly before his death
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Alexy II wished everyone peace, good health and success in good undertakings in coming New Year in his last Christmas greeting which he prepared, but didn't have a chance to address his flock.
"Don't we often live as we will, leaving out the will of God and His commandments, relying only on human strength and leaving out the strength of God? Don't we replace our aspiration for peace and truth with vanity that leads only to disappointing emptiness?" such questions the Patriarch asked in his message.
He urged to remember, "The peace of Christ conquers the hostility of this century and only having this peace in his heart, a person can keep balance in all every day storms and bring reconciliation to those who are near and far, transfiguring life with faith, truth, purity and love."
Patriarch Alexy wished the peace of Christ could reach both disciples and followers of the Savior (people of various age, nationality, political views and social layers) "and people of other beliefs and convictions as we build up our national life together."
"The world is troubled again. Blood is shed in many places, people are suffering. However, we believe that the Lord will help us, Orthodox Christians, prompt people to reconciliation, to wise and just settlement of all disputes and discords with our good example and action," the Patriarch further said in his message.
In conclusion, Alexy II wishes the words of St. John of Shanghai said in 1938 came true: "Blessed you are, Russian Land, purified with the fire of sufferings! You went through the water of baptism, now you are going through the fire of sufferings, but one day you will reach quietness."
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59