30 December 2008, 10:01
Patriarch Alexy II urged to live the commandments and seek the truth in his last Christmas message written shortly before his death
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Alexy II wished everyone peace, good health and success in good undertakings in coming New Year in his last Christmas greeting which he prepared, but didn't have a chance to address his flock.
"Don't we often live as we will, leaving out the will of God and His commandments, relying only on human strength and leaving out the strength of God? Don't we replace our aspiration for peace and truth with vanity that leads only to disappointing emptiness?" such questions the Patriarch asked in his message.
He urged to remember, "The peace of Christ conquers the hostility of this century and only having this peace in his heart, a person can keep balance in all every day storms and bring reconciliation to those who are near and far, transfiguring life with faith, truth, purity and love."
Patriarch Alexy wished the peace of Christ could reach both disciples and followers of the Savior (people of various age, nationality, political views and social layers) "and people of other beliefs and convictions as we build up our national life together."
"The world is troubled again. Blood is shed in many places, people are suffering. However, we believe that the Lord will help us, Orthodox Christians, prompt people to reconciliation, to wise and just settlement of all disputes and discords with our good example and action," the Patriarch further said in his message.
In conclusion, Alexy II wishes the words of St. John of Shanghai said in 1938 came true: "Blessed you are, Russian Land, purified with the fire of sufferings! You went through the water of baptism, now you are going through the fire of sufferings, but one day you will reach quietness."
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02