30 December 2008, 10:01
Patriarch Alexy II urged to live the commandments and seek the truth in his last Christmas message written shortly before his death
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Alexy II wished everyone peace, good health and success in good undertakings in coming New Year in his last Christmas greeting which he prepared, but didn't have a chance to address his flock.
"Don't we often live as we will, leaving out the will of God and His commandments, relying only on human strength and leaving out the strength of God? Don't we replace our aspiration for peace and truth with vanity that leads only to disappointing emptiness?" such questions the Patriarch asked in his message.
He urged to remember, "The peace of Christ conquers the hostility of this century and only having this peace in his heart, a person can keep balance in all every day storms and bring reconciliation to those who are near and far, transfiguring life with faith, truth, purity and love."
Patriarch Alexy wished the peace of Christ could reach both disciples and followers of the Savior (people of various age, nationality, political views and social layers) "and people of other beliefs and convictions as we build up our national life together."
"The world is troubled again. Blood is shed in many places, people are suffering. However, we believe that the Lord will help us, Orthodox Christians, prompt people to reconciliation, to wise and just settlement of all disputes and discords with our good example and action," the Patriarch further said in his message.
In conclusion, Alexy II wishes the words of St. John of Shanghai said in 1938 came true: "Blessed you are, Russian Land, purified with the fire of sufferings! You went through the water of baptism, now you are going through the fire of sufferings, but one day you will reach quietness."
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28