16 January 2009, 12:46
Elections of delegates to the Russian Church Local Council completed, citizens from 64 countries chosen
Moscow, January 16, Interfax – Diocesan council of Moscow clergy completed choosing delegates to the Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church which is to be held on January 27-29.
According to the preliminary information, over 700 people are to participate in the Council work. Lists of the participants keep coming to the organizational committee.
Each Diocese (today their number equals to 157) proposed three participants to the Council – a cleric, a monk and a layman living in its territory. According to the decision of the Holy Synod, patriarchal parishes in Canada, USA, Turkmenia, Italy, Scandinavia elected two delegates each (a cleric and a layman.)
Diocesan delegates-laymen are usually activists of local Orthodox communities and represent various scopes of activities: there are officials of regional administrations, businessmen, scientists, journalists, a director of the circus, an actress.
“Our Church is rich with this diversity and no one of these people should be rejected the right to be Orthodox Christian, moreover if clergy and laymen of the entire region, entire diocese decided in their meeting that the person is worthy to be at the Council,” Deputy Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said.
According to him, citizens of the Russian Federation will make less than half the delegates to the Council as the territory of the Russian Church spreads far beyond boarders of Russia.
The Moscow Patriarchate has parishes in 12 CIS countries (apart from Russia) and in 51 states of other foreign countries.
Today, the number of bishops in the Russian Orthodox Church equals to 203 hierarchs.
According to the Provision on Local Council, the list of its participants also includes heads of Synodal institutions, rectors of theological academies and St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University, five delegates from theological seminaries, members of the council’s preparatory commission, four delegates from stauropegial nunneries, Head of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem.
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about Donbass blockade, attempts to take over churches in other regions of Ukraine 03 December 2014, 18:12
- Yeshivah student badly beaten in Moscow Region 03 December 2014, 14:45
- Russian parish in Strasbourg lacks money to continue building the church 03 December 2014, 10:04