16 January 2009, 12:46
Elections of delegates to the Russian Church Local Council completed, citizens from 64 countries chosen
Moscow, January 16, Interfax – Diocesan council of Moscow clergy completed choosing delegates to the Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church which is to be held on January 27-29.
According to the preliminary information, over 700 people are to participate in the Council work. Lists of the participants keep coming to the organizational committee.
Each Diocese (today their number equals to 157) proposed three participants to the Council – a cleric, a monk and a layman living in its territory. According to the decision of the Holy Synod, patriarchal parishes in Canada, USA, Turkmenia, Italy, Scandinavia elected two delegates each (a cleric and a layman.)
Diocesan delegates-laymen are usually activists of local Orthodox communities and represent various scopes of activities: there are officials of regional administrations, businessmen, scientists, journalists, a director of the circus, an actress.
“Our Church is rich with this diversity and no one of these people should be rejected the right to be Orthodox Christian, moreover if clergy and laymen of the entire region, entire diocese decided in their meeting that the person is worthy to be at the Council,” Deputy Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said.
According to him, citizens of the Russian Federation will make less than half the delegates to the Council as the territory of the Russian Church spreads far beyond boarders of Russia.
The Moscow Patriarchate has parishes in 12 CIS countries (apart from Russia) and in 51 states of other foreign countries.
Today, the number of bishops in the Russian Orthodox Church equals to 203 hierarchs.
According to the Provision on Local Council, the list of its participants also includes heads of Synodal institutions, rectors of theological academies and St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University, five delegates from theological seminaries, members of the council’s preparatory commission, four delegates from stauropegial nunneries, Head of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem.
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57