16 January 2009, 12:46
Elections of delegates to the Russian Church Local Council completed, citizens from 64 countries chosen
Moscow, January 16, Interfax – Diocesan council of Moscow clergy completed choosing delegates to the Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church which is to be held on January 27-29.
According to the preliminary information, over 700 people are to participate in the Council work. Lists of the participants keep coming to the organizational committee.
Each Diocese (today their number equals to 157) proposed three participants to the Council – a cleric, a monk and a layman living in its territory. According to the decision of the Holy Synod, patriarchal parishes in Canada, USA, Turkmenia, Italy, Scandinavia elected two delegates each (a cleric and a layman.)
Diocesan delegates-laymen are usually activists of local Orthodox communities and represent various scopes of activities: there are officials of regional administrations, businessmen, scientists, journalists, a director of the circus, an actress.
“Our Church is rich with this diversity and no one of these people should be rejected the right to be Orthodox Christian, moreover if clergy and laymen of the entire region, entire diocese decided in their meeting that the person is worthy to be at the Council,” Deputy Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said.
According to him, citizens of the Russian Federation will make less than half the delegates to the Council as the territory of the Russian Church spreads far beyond boarders of Russia.
The Moscow Patriarchate has parishes in 12 CIS countries (apart from Russia) and in 51 states of other foreign countries.
Today, the number of bishops in the Russian Orthodox Church equals to 203 hierarchs.
According to the Provision on Local Council, the list of its participants also includes heads of Synodal institutions, rectors of theological academies and St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University, five delegates from theological seminaries, members of the council’s preparatory commission, four delegates from stauropegial nunneries, Head of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem.
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01