15 November 2005, 12:43
Russian church favors further dialogue with Vatican
Moscow, November 15, Interfax - Metropolitan of Smolensk and Kaliningrad Kirill has confirmed that the Russian Orthodox Church is committed to continuing its dialogue with the Vatican.
"Our position is that this dialogue, which has been broadly discussed by the Catholic Church as well, should continue. Our commission is an adequate instrument of such a dialogue," Metropolitan Kirill, who heads the Moscow Patriarchate's foreign relations department, told a news conference at Interfax on Tuesday.
"In our address to the Catholic Church, we again suggest launching a serious dialogue and reviving our joint working group that looked into conflicts. To my regret, the group's work has been virtually stalled through no fault of ours," he said.
The working group, which was set up after Cardinal Walter Kasper's visit in February 2004, held its first session in March.
The task of protecting Christian values dominates the agenda on international cooperation between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Vatican, the metropolitan said.
"Cooperation between Orthodoxy and Catholicism in the international arena is extremely important. We believe that this cooperation should be given top priority. Nothing in our relations should hamper it," he said.
The metropolitan said he met with Pope Benedict XVI in the Vatican in April.
"I had an opportunity to meet with him. Our discussion was quite long and addressed the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue in light of the need to protect Christian values, which, to our regret, are losing their influence on life in Europe and life in some other places outside Europe," he said.
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49