17 February 2009, 17:02
Russian physicist is the first to register electrical discharges during the descent of the Holy Fire
Moscow, February 17, Interfax – Section on “Christianity and science” of the 17th Christmas educational readings carried out on Tuesday in Moscow first voiced the results of scientific experiment held by Russian scientists on Great Sunday 2008 in the Church of Lord’s Sepulcher in Jerusalem.
The branch head of the Kurchatov atomic energy institute Doctor of Physics and Mathematics Andrey Volkov spoke about his own attempt to measure low-frequency long-wavelength radio signals in Jerusalem church during annual descent of the Holy Fire.
The scientist used special equipment to make measurements in the church during 6,5 hours of waiting for the fire and it took him the next few months to decipher it.
Volkov considers “absolute miracle” the difference between indices received on the descent day and the day before. Besides, according to him, analysis of cracks in the column before the entrance to the church really makes him think they could appear only in result of electrical discharge.”
According to Volkov, his counterpart, leading expert on mechanics of destruction, Yevgeny Morozov, proves the same things.
Though he believes that “measures taken only once cannot be evident enough from the strictly scientific viewpoint,” Volkov also states he bears full responsibility for the received results and is ready to present them.
“However, if you ask me as a scientist if there was something (a miracle - IF) or not, I’ll tell you I don’t know,” he said.
Deputy Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Commission on miraculous events, lecturer of St. John Russian Orthodox University Alexander Moskovsky said Volkov “made a scientific achievement as he carried out the first in history serious, trustworthy and responsible scientific research of the Holy Fire.”
The Holy Fire has appeared at the Lord’s sepulcher for many centuries shortly before Orthodox Easter. Eastern Christians are convinced that the miracle of the Holy Fire proves the truth of the Orthodox faith as every Easter the Holy Fire appears at the Lord’s Sepulcher. The believers think the descent of the fire disapproves of any atheistic views.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56