19 February 2009, 14:01
Berezovsky financed Wahabi warlords – MP
Grozny, February 19, Interfax – Boris Berezovsky financed Shamil Basayev, Movladi Udugov and other members of illegal armed units as well as broadcasting of Wahabi ideas, Chechen Republic MP Magomed Khambiyev said on air of Grozny television channel.
Khambiyev, who headed the Defense Ministry of Ichkeria (the way Chechen separatists preferred to name the republic – IF) under Aslan Maskhadov, noted that Berezovsky financed leaders of illegal armed units “under guise of paying ransoms for hostages” and “the Wahabi mouthpiece, the Kavkaz television channel.”
"Not only did Berezovsky provide the money for buying state-of- the-art equipment, but he also financed the TV channel's work while being perfectly aware that the channel propagated Wahhabism round-the-clock," the MP said.
"Udugov showed a slain Englishmen on the air of Kavkaz for a week. This was done deliberately, so as to set the whole civilized world against the Chechen people. Berezovsky, Udugov, and Basayev perfectly new what they were doing, and they were doing this purposefully," Khambiyev said.
According to him, "When Boris Berezovsky arrived in Ingushetia following the first campaign, he personally handed $1 billion to Shamil Basayev.”
“It greatly surprised and outraged me. I was surprised that someone representing a country hostile to Ichkeria and being a deputy head of its Security Council should give money to Basayev. I asked Basayev why Berezovsky had given the money and why Basayev accepted it. He answered that Berezovsky was afraid of him and therefore paid the money," Khambiyev said.
Later, he went on to say, it turned out that “Basayev had received not one but two million dollars from Berezovsky in Ingushetia, and Basayev publicly confirmed it."
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56