19 February 2009, 14:01
Berezovsky financed Wahabi warlords – MP
Grozny, February 19, Interfax – Boris Berezovsky financed Shamil Basayev, Movladi Udugov and other members of illegal armed units as well as broadcasting of Wahabi ideas, Chechen Republic MP Magomed Khambiyev said on air of Grozny television channel.
Khambiyev, who headed the Defense Ministry of Ichkeria (the way Chechen separatists preferred to name the republic – IF) under Aslan Maskhadov, noted that Berezovsky financed leaders of illegal armed units “under guise of paying ransoms for hostages” and “the Wahabi mouthpiece, the Kavkaz television channel.”
"Not only did Berezovsky provide the money for buying state-of- the-art equipment, but he also financed the TV channel's work while being perfectly aware that the channel propagated Wahhabism round-the-clock," the MP said.
"Udugov showed a slain Englishmen on the air of Kavkaz for a week. This was done deliberately, so as to set the whole civilized world against the Chechen people. Berezovsky, Udugov, and Basayev perfectly new what they were doing, and they were doing this purposefully," Khambiyev said.
According to him, "When Boris Berezovsky arrived in Ingushetia following the first campaign, he personally handed $1 billion to Shamil Basayev.”
“It greatly surprised and outraged me. I was surprised that someone representing a country hostile to Ichkeria and being a deputy head of its Security Council should give money to Basayev. I asked Basayev why Berezovsky had given the money and why Basayev accepted it. He answered that Berezovsky was afraid of him and therefore paid the money," Khambiyev said.
Later, he went on to say, it turned out that “Basayev had received not one but two million dollars from Berezovsky in Ingushetia, and Basayev publicly confirmed it."
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03