02 March 2009, 12:53
Patriarch Kirill asks forgiveness from the Russian Orthodox Church's flock on Forgiveness Sunday
Moscow, March 2, Interfax - On Forgiveness Sunday, Patriarch of All Russia Kirill blessed all worshipers for the upcoming Great Lent and asked forgiveness from those who he had voluntary or involuntary offended.
On Sunday, on the eve of the Great Lent, Head of the Russian Orthodox Church served traditional vespers and led the rite of forgiveness at Christ the Savior Cathedral which gathered over 4,000 believers. In his address to the laity, Patriarch mentioned that asking forgiveness from neighbours and fellow-Christians was the first deed of the Lent.
"There is no purification of soul if we do not forgive one another", Patriarch Kirill said, "We disburden us of our sins through forgiveness. Properly speaking, the essence of our spiritual life to a large extent is to overcome our sins."
According to Patriarch, "the danger of the time we are surviving now is that the notion of sin is being displaced from peoples' conscience." This, in turn, leads to "the end of human history" when, according to the Bible, people accept the Antichrist because they stop to distinguish between good and evil.
In the mean time, Patriarch Kirill believes, that "Shrove Sunday which keeps returning to our life shows that the new-fangled ideas of morals which are destructive to morals still fail to enthrall our people."
"Forgiveness begins our way to spiritual revival, and let God help us," Patriarch Kirill wished the believers in conclusion.
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28