02 March 2009, 12:53
Patriarch Kirill asks forgiveness from the Russian Orthodox Church's flock on Forgiveness Sunday
Moscow, March 2, Interfax - On Forgiveness Sunday, Patriarch of All Russia Kirill blessed all worshipers for the upcoming Great Lent and asked forgiveness from those who he had voluntary or involuntary offended.
On Sunday, on the eve of the Great Lent, Head of the Russian Orthodox Church served traditional vespers and led the rite of forgiveness at Christ the Savior Cathedral which gathered over 4,000 believers. In his address to the laity, Patriarch mentioned that asking forgiveness from neighbours and fellow-Christians was the first deed of the Lent.
"There is no purification of soul if we do not forgive one another", Patriarch Kirill said, "We disburden us of our sins through forgiveness. Properly speaking, the essence of our spiritual life to a large extent is to overcome our sins."
According to Patriarch, "the danger of the time we are surviving now is that the notion of sin is being displaced from peoples' conscience." This, in turn, leads to "the end of human history" when, according to the Bible, people accept the Antichrist because they stop to distinguish between good and evil.
In the mean time, Patriarch Kirill believes, that "Shrove Sunday which keeps returning to our life shows that the new-fangled ideas of morals which are destructive to morals still fail to enthrall our people."
"Forgiveness begins our way to spiritual revival, and let God help us," Patriarch Kirill wished the believers in conclusion.
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59