02 March 2009, 12:53
Patriarch Kirill asks forgiveness from the Russian Orthodox Church's flock on Forgiveness Sunday
Moscow, March 2, Interfax - On Forgiveness Sunday, Patriarch of All Russia Kirill blessed all worshipers for the upcoming Great Lent and asked forgiveness from those who he had voluntary or involuntary offended.
On Sunday, on the eve of the Great Lent, Head of the Russian Orthodox Church served traditional vespers and led the rite of forgiveness at Christ the Savior Cathedral which gathered over 4,000 believers. In his address to the laity, Patriarch mentioned that asking forgiveness from neighbours and fellow-Christians was the first deed of the Lent.
"There is no purification of soul if we do not forgive one another", Patriarch Kirill said, "We disburden us of our sins through forgiveness. Properly speaking, the essence of our spiritual life to a large extent is to overcome our sins."
According to Patriarch, "the danger of the time we are surviving now is that the notion of sin is being displaced from peoples' conscience." This, in turn, leads to "the end of human history" when, according to the Bible, people accept the Antichrist because they stop to distinguish between good and evil.
In the mean time, Patriarch Kirill believes, that "Shrove Sunday which keeps returning to our life shows that the new-fangled ideas of morals which are destructive to morals still fail to enthrall our people."
"Forgiveness begins our way to spiritual revival, and let God help us," Patriarch Kirill wished the believers in conclusion.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03