02 March 2009, 12:53
Patriarch Kirill asks forgiveness from the Russian Orthodox Church's flock on Forgiveness Sunday
Moscow, March 2, Interfax - On Forgiveness Sunday, Patriarch of All Russia Kirill blessed all worshipers for the upcoming Great Lent and asked forgiveness from those who he had voluntary or involuntary offended.
On Sunday, on the eve of the Great Lent, Head of the Russian Orthodox Church served traditional vespers and led the rite of forgiveness at Christ the Savior Cathedral which gathered over 4,000 believers. In his address to the laity, Patriarch mentioned that asking forgiveness from neighbours and fellow-Christians was the first deed of the Lent.
"There is no purification of soul if we do not forgive one another", Patriarch Kirill said, "We disburden us of our sins through forgiveness. Properly speaking, the essence of our spiritual life to a large extent is to overcome our sins."
According to Patriarch, "the danger of the time we are surviving now is that the notion of sin is being displaced from peoples' conscience." This, in turn, leads to "the end of human history" when, according to the Bible, people accept the Antichrist because they stop to distinguish between good and evil.
In the mean time, Patriarch Kirill believes, that "Shrove Sunday which keeps returning to our life shows that the new-fangled ideas of morals which are destructive to morals still fail to enthrall our people."
"Forgiveness begins our way to spiritual revival, and let God help us," Patriarch Kirill wished the believers in conclusion.
- Moscow Patriarchate church seized in west Ukraine 06 March 2015, 16:04
- Islamic State earns up to $1Bln from Afghan heroin trafficking - Russian official 06 March 2015, 12:02
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58