04 March 2009, 16:55
The priest urges to restore the church entitled one of the most known Moscow streets
Moscow, March 4, Interfax – The Moscow Patriarchate considers it’s important to restore the church of Joachim and Hanna, which has entitled the Moscow central street Yakimanka.
"How it’s possible to imagine Yakimanka without a church of Joachim and Hanna! Naturally, it’s desirable to restore historical memory and historical justice," Archpriest Nikolay Krechetov, head of the Moskvoretsky deanery, told Interfax-Religion.
According to the priest, "believers show for a long time already the initiative in this question", and, as he knows, "the Yakimanka’s area justice also makes efforts in this question."
As a variant, Fr. Nikolay said the church could be restored on a place where a monument to the Bulgarian communist Georgy Dimitrov is situated today." It’s the business of the Moscow government of course, but may be it’ll be better to a monument to be situated in park on the Crimean quay where a lot of sculptures are gathered, and here it just will be possible to put a church, the place would suffice, though it’s not absolutely coincide with a primary place of the church," the interlocutor of agency added.
The Joachim and Hanna church named for parents of the God’s Mother has been constructed in the end of 17th century and situated on a place of crossing of Malaya Yakimanka street and modern Yakimansky lane. The church has been closed in December 1939 and blown up in 1969.
There is a waste on this place today. Only one Orthodox church - John the Warrior - has remained of four churches situated on Yakimanka street before the revolution.
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01