11 March 2009, 14:27
Russian Church considers biased the Strasbourg Court ruling on the case of Bulgarian schismatics
Sofia, March 11, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate considers biased the European Court of Human Rights ruling on the case of Bulgarian schismatics and assures full support to the canonic Church of Bulgaria.
"It must be noted that the Court's acceptance of the complaint from the so-called "Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church" means implied support of its right to speak on behalf of the canonic Bulgarian Orthodox Church. This only testifies that the court rules in favour of one party in this internal church dispute", Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria said addressing the All-Orthodox Meeting called in Sofia to discuss the above court ruling.
According to Bishop Hilarion, this judgment establishes the norm "which shall become the basis for settling other similar matters involving church-state relations". Consequently, Bishop Hilarion continued, "this norm may be applicable to any traditional religious community in Europe", which according to him, "raises concerns of not only each Orthodox Church, but also any other traditional religious organization".
On December 22, the Strasbourg Court reportedly made judgment on the case of the church schism in Bulgaria which criticized the state authorities for granting special status to the canonic Church, whereby the court has virtually sided with the so-called "alternative Synod" headed by Metropolitan Innokenty (Petrov). This judgment was slashed by the canonic Church which qualified it as interfering with internal affairs of this religious organization. Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill expressed his solidarity with the canonic Church.
According to Bishop Hilarion, the European Convention member states made no commitments to keep neutral relations with religious organizations as this contradicts with the existing models of state-church relations in different countries.
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01