11 March 2009, 14:27
Russian Church considers biased the Strasbourg Court ruling on the case of Bulgarian schismatics
Sofia, March 11, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate considers biased the European Court of Human Rights ruling on the case of Bulgarian schismatics and assures full support to the canonic Church of Bulgaria.
"It must be noted that the Court's acceptance of the complaint from the so-called "Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church" means implied support of its right to speak on behalf of the canonic Bulgarian Orthodox Church. This only testifies that the court rules in favour of one party in this internal church dispute", Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria said addressing the All-Orthodox Meeting called in Sofia to discuss the above court ruling.
According to Bishop Hilarion, this judgment establishes the norm "which shall become the basis for settling other similar matters involving church-state relations". Consequently, Bishop Hilarion continued, "this norm may be applicable to any traditional religious community in Europe", which according to him, "raises concerns of not only each Orthodox Church, but also any other traditional religious organization".
On December 22, the Strasbourg Court reportedly made judgment on the case of the church schism in Bulgaria which criticized the state authorities for granting special status to the canonic Church, whereby the court has virtually sided with the so-called "alternative Synod" headed by Metropolitan Innokenty (Petrov). This judgment was slashed by the canonic Church which qualified it as interfering with internal affairs of this religious organization. Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill expressed his solidarity with the canonic Church.
According to Bishop Hilarion, the European Convention member states made no commitments to keep neutral relations with religious organizations as this contradicts with the existing models of state-church relations in different countries.
- Every tenth Russian justifies actions of Orthodox believers in Manege 02 September 2015, 14:01
- Protesters destroyed a temporary chapel near the Supreme Rada 01 September 2015, 15:23
- Petersburg needs three times as many churches as it now has - head of the Metropolia 01 September 2015, 14:53
- Protestant church to be turned in an Orthodox church in the USA 01 September 2015, 11:59
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Appearance of ISIS militants in Kyrgyzstan shows stability is fragile - Atambayev 31 August 2015, 14:19
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Tajik Justice Ministry gave ten days to shut down Islamic Renaissance Party 31 August 2015, 10:10
- Mercenary inquiry opened against Stavropol neo-pagan group leader fighting for Kiev 31 August 2015, 10:08
- Valaam Monastery to raise up to 200 tonnes of trout per year in response to sanctions 28 August 2015, 17:59
- Hizb ut-Tahrir follower seized in Kyrgyzstan for illegal religious training of young girls 28 August 2015, 12:57
- Cathedral mosque to be built in Simferopol with Turkey participating - Mufti of Crimea 27 August 2015, 14:34
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions 26 August 2015, 10:04
- Shelling damages a diocesan building in Gorlovka 25 August 2015, 11:16
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for interaction between Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian authorities in interests of society 24 August 2015, 17:11
- Schismatics disrupted a divine service and seized an Orthodox church not far from Kiev 24 August 2015, 11:29
- Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia 21 August 2015, 17:42
- Blogger from Karelia who criticized Church and received shelter in Estonia offers to exchange himself for Kohver 20 August 2015, 16:20
- Deputy imam killed in Stavropol territory 20 August 2015, 14:20
- Russia and Church cast a challenge to all evil powers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 20 August 2015, 10:06
- 20% decrease in number of hajj-goers is prognosed in Russia as the ruble devaluates 19 August 2015, 17:50
- Kazakh priest conquers highest mountain in the Central Asia 19 August 2015, 12:58
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- African Patriarch to make pilgrimage to Russia 18 August 2015, 15:37
- Aksyonov won't allow gay prides in Crimea 18 August 2015, 14:18
- Orthodox believers ask Moscow Prosecutor to give legal evaluation of notorious exhibition in Manege 18 August 2015, 12:29
- Orthodox activists deny involvement in Moscow deputy assault 18 August 2015, 10:05
- Member of Hizb ut-Tahrir cell in St. Petersburg sentenced to five years in jail 17 August 2015, 17:20
- Petards and smoke grenades thrown at participants in homosexual forum in Odessa 17 August 2015, 15:08