10 April 2009, 15:53
Meeting of Pope and Russian Patriarch impossible without denunciation of proselytism
Moscow, April 10, Interfax - The Pope and the Russian Patriarch may meet after the two Churches overcome their differences over proselytism and Union of Brest, said Bishop Hilarion, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations.
"As soon as the signing of say a joint declaration in which the Union [of Brest] would be denounced as an event that took place in the past and having a direct relation to the present becomes possible, I believe that such a meeting can and must take place," he said at a press conference at the Interfax central office on Friday.
The Bishop reminded journalists that the predecessor of the incumbent head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Alexy II, on many occasions spoke of the possibility of a meeting with the Pope when "all obstacles for it disappear and it is well prepared."
The other stumbling block in the dialogue between the two churches today is proselytism by Roman Catholics in countries where the population historically constitutes the flock of the Moscow Patriarchate, the Bishop said.
The possible meeting of the Pope and Patriarch should not merely be a PR action meant to attract the attention of the press but should open a new page in relations between Catholics and Orthodox Christians, he added.
"I think there is every prerequisite for that today. There is growing understanding on both sides about the need to give up the spirit of competition and start cooperating on the basis of the understanding that we are allies, not foes. We have a common missionary field, we are facing common challenges," the Bishop said.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22