04 May 2009, 13:14
Jesus Christ Superstar banned in Pskov as requested by the diocese
Moscow, May 4, Interfax – Pskov authorities banned a guest performance of the famous rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar which was to be held at the local drama theatre on May 5.
According to the Express-Gazeta paper, chairman of the Pskov regional committee on culture Zinaida Ivanova decided to cancel the performance referring to the request of the diocese.
Official reason for cancelling the show was its “technical complexity” for the theater as its building is in emergency situation.
Deputy Director of St. Petersburg Rock Opera state theater Tamara Malysheva is puzzled with the incident and reminded that Jesus Christ Superstar was already performed in Pskov philharmonic society in 2004.
“It’s a missionary performance, there’s nothing blasphemous in it,” she believes.
- Sokurov warns Europe against medley of ethnic groups and religious cultures 04 September 2015, 17:35
- ISIL recruits IT specialists, doctors, engineers in Uzbekistan 04 September 2015, 10:18
- Kadyrov calls on Muslim world to urgently discuss problem of migrants trying to find refuge in Europe 04 September 2015, 10:05
- Baku court sentences five IS members to many years in jail 03 September 2015, 10:01
- Every tenth Russian justifies actions of Orthodox believers in Manege 02 September 2015, 14:01
- Protesters destroyed a temporary chapel near the Supreme Rada 01 September 2015, 15:23
- Petersburg needs three times as many churches as it now has - head of the Metropolia 01 September 2015, 14:53
- Protestant church to be turned in an Orthodox church in the USA 01 September 2015, 11:59
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Appearance of ISIS militants in Kyrgyzstan shows stability is fragile - Atambayev 31 August 2015, 14:19
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Tajik Justice Ministry gave ten days to shut down Islamic Renaissance Party 31 August 2015, 10:10
- Mercenary inquiry opened against Stavropol neo-pagan group leader fighting for Kiev 31 August 2015, 10:08
- Valaam Monastery to raise up to 200 tonnes of trout per year in response to sanctions 28 August 2015, 17:59
- Hizb ut-Tahrir follower seized in Kyrgyzstan for illegal religious training of young girls 28 August 2015, 12:57
- Cathedral mosque to be built in Simferopol with Turkey participating - Mufti of Crimea 27 August 2015, 14:34
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions 26 August 2015, 10:04
- Shelling damages a diocesan building in Gorlovka 25 August 2015, 11:16
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for interaction between Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian authorities in interests of society 24 August 2015, 17:11
- Schismatics disrupted a divine service and seized an Orthodox church not far from Kiev 24 August 2015, 11:29
- Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia 21 August 2015, 17:42
- Blogger from Karelia who criticized Church and received shelter in Estonia offers to exchange himself for Kohver 20 August 2015, 16:20
- Deputy imam killed in Stavropol territory 20 August 2015, 14:20
- Russia and Church cast a challenge to all evil powers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 20 August 2015, 10:06
- 20% decrease in number of hajj-goers is prognosed in Russia as the ruble devaluates 19 August 2015, 17:50
- Kazakh priest conquers highest mountain in the Central Asia 19 August 2015, 12:58
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- African Patriarch to make pilgrimage to Russia 18 August 2015, 15:37
- Aksyonov won't allow gay prides in Crimea 18 August 2015, 14:18