18 May 2009, 12:28
St. Petersburg host a pride parade
St. Petersburg, May 17, Interfax - About a hundred activists highlighted the International Day Against Homophobia by marching along Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg, carrying balloons. No detentions were made.
"This event is named "The Rainbow Flash Mob". We marched along Nevsky carrying balloons and handing out leaflets promoting tolerant attitude to people with different sexual orientation," director of St. Petersburg LGBT organization Valery Sozayev told Interfax.
Reaching the spit of Vasilyevsky Island, the participants of this event released their balloons into the sky.
"We marched along the street, some of us were wearing the movement's T-shirts, and we were carrying a rainbow flag. The police were loyal to us; some of them approached us at the beginning of our parade, but there was nothing to find fault with and they decided not to interfere with us."
The Home Affairs Directorate of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region told Interfax that there were no detentions during the event.
"The Directorate's stuff members made no detentions, because there were no offences committed," the Directorate's spokesperson explained.
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28
- Ukrainian militants shelled Donetsk neighborhood where Easter service was held 13 April 2015, 12:16
- Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew 13 April 2015, 10:02
- Great feast of Easter brings joy and hope to millions of Christians - Putin 13 April 2015, 10:01
- Georgian president, pope discuss regional security 10 April 2015, 17:47
- Ukraine releases abducted hieromonk 10 April 2015, 17:42
- ISIS begins embedding itself in terrorist organizations working in Russia - FSB 10 April 2015, 15:49
- FSB: ISIL poses real threat to SCO member countries 10 April 2015, 15:45
- Ukrainian border guards to allow crossing of residents living close to border during Easter holidays 10 April 2015, 13:14
- Fire at mosque in Dagestan's Kizlyar extinguished, no one hurt 10 April 2015, 10:40
- Jewish public and religious activists of Crimea ask to abolish sanctions against Russia 10 April 2015, 10:08
- Central mosque on fire in Dagestan's Kizlyar 10 April 2015, 10:06
- Four Bashkortostan residents convicted for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir group in Russia 10 April 2015, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill: Western sanctions illegal but useful experience for Russia 10 April 2015, 10:03
- Putin presents Tsipras with icon stolen by Nazis from Greece 10 April 2015, 10:01
- Onishchenko questions ethics of head transplant surgery 09 April 2015, 17:52
- New synagogue vandalized in Arkhangelsk 09 April 2015, 17:31