18 May 2009, 12:28
St. Petersburg host a pride parade
St. Petersburg, May 17, Interfax - About a hundred activists highlighted the International Day Against Homophobia by marching along Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg, carrying balloons. No detentions were made.
"This event is named "The Rainbow Flash Mob". We marched along Nevsky carrying balloons and handing out leaflets promoting tolerant attitude to people with different sexual orientation," director of St. Petersburg LGBT organization Valery Sozayev told Interfax.
Reaching the spit of Vasilyevsky Island, the participants of this event released their balloons into the sky.
"We marched along the street, some of us were wearing the movement's T-shirts, and we were carrying a rainbow flag. The police were loyal to us; some of them approached us at the beginning of our parade, but there was nothing to find fault with and they decided not to interfere with us."
The Home Affairs Directorate of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region told Interfax that there were no detentions during the event.
"The Directorate's stuff members made no detentions, because there were no offences committed," the Directorate's spokesperson explained.
- New head of Tauric Chersonesos preserve among reasons for accelerating its transfer to federal authority - Russian presidential advisor 03 August 2015, 10:47
- Tauric Chersonesos Nature Preserve in Crimea to be transferred to federal authority, included in especially valuable cultural heritage list 03 August 2015, 10:00
- Former Moscow Patriarchate employee charged with treason to remain in custody until October 31 July 2015, 17:44
- Russia's Muslims expect Islamic world leaders at cathedral mosque opening ceremony in Moscow 31 July 2015, 10:02
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls murders of priest and nun in Kiev outrageous 30 July 2015, 10:04
- Nun of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate murdered in Kiev 29 July 2015, 18:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01