18 May 2009, 12:28
St. Petersburg host a pride parade
St. Petersburg, May 17, Interfax - About a hundred activists highlighted the International Day Against Homophobia by marching along Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg, carrying balloons. No detentions were made.
"This event is named "The Rainbow Flash Mob". We marched along Nevsky carrying balloons and handing out leaflets promoting tolerant attitude to people with different sexual orientation," director of St. Petersburg LGBT organization Valery Sozayev told Interfax.
Reaching the spit of Vasilyevsky Island, the participants of this event released their balloons into the sky.
"We marched along the street, some of us were wearing the movement's T-shirts, and we were carrying a rainbow flag. The police were loyal to us; some of them approached us at the beginning of our parade, but there was nothing to find fault with and they decided not to interfere with us."
The Home Affairs Directorate of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region told Interfax that there were no detentions during the event.
"The Directorate's stuff members made no detentions, because there were no offences committed," the Directorate's spokesperson explained.
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27
- Blocking of Russian online media in Ukraine, attacks on Church suggest that Kiev is under influence of radicals – Lavrov 18 May 2017, 16:25