18 May 2009, 12:28
St. Petersburg host a pride parade
St. Petersburg, May 17, Interfax - About a hundred activists highlighted the International Day Against Homophobia by marching along Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg, carrying balloons. No detentions were made.
"This event is named "The Rainbow Flash Mob". We marched along Nevsky carrying balloons and handing out leaflets promoting tolerant attitude to people with different sexual orientation," director of St. Petersburg LGBT organization Valery Sozayev told Interfax.
Reaching the spit of Vasilyevsky Island, the participants of this event released their balloons into the sky.
"We marched along the street, some of us were wearing the movement's T-shirts, and we were carrying a rainbow flag. The police were loyal to us; some of them approached us at the beginning of our parade, but there was nothing to find fault with and they decided not to interfere with us."
The Home Affairs Directorate of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region told Interfax that there were no detentions during the event.
"The Directorate's stuff members made no detentions, because there were no offences committed," the Directorate's spokesperson explained.
- Tajik officials and businessmen obliged to give alms on occasion of resuming the holy month 01 July 2016, 16:46
- Unfinished TV tower in Yekaterinburg may be turned in St. Catherine Church 01 July 2016, 16:44
- Representative of the Antioch Patriarchate thanks Russian militants for help in Syria 01 July 2016, 10:55
- Russian Church welcomes shutdown of "Moscow church of scientology" 01 July 2016, 10:04
- Patriarch Kirill wishes courage to victims of Istanbul terrorist act 30 June 2016, 15:24
- Terror eventually touched Turkey In result of Turkish policy of double standards, Jewish leader of Russia believes 30 June 2016, 10:26
- Six Salafism adherents detained in Kazakhstan 30 June 2016, 10:10
- Moscow would like Venice Commission to react to Rada appeal on Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly 30 June 2016, 10:07
- Eleven religious radicals arrested over case of terror attack preparation in Kazakhstan, 1 dies during arrest (updated) 29 June 2016, 15:07
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45