21 May 2009, 14:10
A large majority of Ukrainian political elite to back the unity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church with the Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - The proponents of dissent and a local Church in Ukraine constituted only a small minority in the Ukrainian leadership, press-secretary of the Ukrainian canonical Church Vasily Anisimov said.
"The majority of Ukrainian politicians shows no protest against our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church, but rather welcomes it," Anisimov said in an interview posted at the Orthodox website Radonezh.
"Have Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Litvin, Moroz or Vitrenko ever expressed their dissatisfaction with our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church? After all, they represent 90 percent of our politicum. In fact, they have always encouraged us," he added.
Victor Anisimov also mentioned that many "leaders of The Orange Revolution, such as Yuschenko's close associates Poroshenko, Lutsenko, Yekhanurov and others, are members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
"There is a small lobby supporting Uniates and dissenters headed by the President, but it can be hardly considered the majority of our elite," Anisimov said.
He mentioned that during the celebration of 1020th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia in Kiev "leaders of all Ukrainian major political parties - including Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Moroz, and Vitrenko - refused to participate in President's scheming with the Church, and expressed their critical viewpoint on the matter."
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46