21 May 2009, 14:10
A large majority of Ukrainian political elite to back the unity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church with the Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - The proponents of dissent and a local Church in Ukraine constituted only a small minority in the Ukrainian leadership, press-secretary of the Ukrainian canonical Church Vasily Anisimov said.
"The majority of Ukrainian politicians shows no protest against our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church, but rather welcomes it," Anisimov said in an interview posted at the Orthodox website Radonezh.
"Have Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Litvin, Moroz or Vitrenko ever expressed their dissatisfaction with our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church? After all, they represent 90 percent of our politicum. In fact, they have always encouraged us," he added.
Victor Anisimov also mentioned that many "leaders of The Orange Revolution, such as Yuschenko's close associates Poroshenko, Lutsenko, Yekhanurov and others, are members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
"There is a small lobby supporting Uniates and dissenters headed by the President, but it can be hardly considered the majority of our elite," Anisimov said.
He mentioned that during the celebration of 1020th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia in Kiev "leaders of all Ukrainian major political parties - including Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Moroz, and Vitrenko - refused to participate in President's scheming with the Church, and expressed their critical viewpoint on the matter."
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09