21 May 2009, 14:10
A large majority of Ukrainian political elite to back the unity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church with the Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - The proponents of dissent and a local Church in Ukraine constituted only a small minority in the Ukrainian leadership, press-secretary of the Ukrainian canonical Church Vasily Anisimov said.
"The majority of Ukrainian politicians shows no protest against our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church, but rather welcomes it," Anisimov said in an interview posted at the Orthodox website Radonezh.
"Have Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Litvin, Moroz or Vitrenko ever expressed their dissatisfaction with our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church? After all, they represent 90 percent of our politicum. In fact, they have always encouraged us," he added.
Victor Anisimov also mentioned that many "leaders of The Orange Revolution, such as Yuschenko's close associates Poroshenko, Lutsenko, Yekhanurov and others, are members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
"There is a small lobby supporting Uniates and dissenters headed by the President, but it can be hardly considered the majority of our elite," Anisimov said.
He mentioned that during the celebration of 1020th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia in Kiev "leaders of all Ukrainian major political parties - including Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Moroz, and Vitrenko - refused to participate in President's scheming with the Church, and expressed their critical viewpoint on the matter."
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49