21 May 2009, 14:10
A large majority of Ukrainian political elite to back the unity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church with the Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - The proponents of dissent and a local Church in Ukraine constituted only a small minority in the Ukrainian leadership, press-secretary of the Ukrainian canonical Church Vasily Anisimov said.
"The majority of Ukrainian politicians shows no protest against our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church, but rather welcomes it," Anisimov said in an interview posted at the Orthodox website Radonezh.
"Have Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Litvin, Moroz or Vitrenko ever expressed their dissatisfaction with our unity with the Russian Orthodox Church? After all, they represent 90 percent of our politicum. In fact, they have always encouraged us," he added.
Victor Anisimov also mentioned that many "leaders of The Orange Revolution, such as Yuschenko's close associates Poroshenko, Lutsenko, Yekhanurov and others, are members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
"There is a small lobby supporting Uniates and dissenters headed by the President, but it can be hardly considered the majority of our elite," Anisimov said.
He mentioned that during the celebration of 1020th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia in Kiev "leaders of all Ukrainian major political parties - including Yanukovich, Timoshenko, Simonenko, Moroz, and Vitrenko - refused to participate in President's scheming with the Church, and expressed their critical viewpoint on the matter."
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25
- Group of Catholics in Argentine decide to covert in Orthodoxy after Patriarch Kirill's sermon 22 November 2016, 18:58