25 May 2009, 13:36
Russian Orthodox temple blessed in Rome
Rome, May 25, Interfax - Metropolitan Valentin of Orenburg and Buzuluk consecrated the first-ever Russian Orthodox temple in Rome on May 24, the Day of St. Cyril and Methodius, with the blessing of Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill.
The Russian president's spouse Svetlana Medvedeva, Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, head of the Presidential Property Management Department Vladimir Kozhin, Russian Ambassador to Italy Alexey Meshkov, State Duma deputy Konstantin Kosachyov, Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Yakovenko, Deputy Culture Minister Pavel Khoroshilov and others also attended the ceremony.
Representatives of the Roman Catholic Church, including President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Walter Cardinal Kasper, were present as well.
The Church of Great Martyr St. Catherine was built on a hill, close to the Russian embassy residence. The idea of building an Orthodox church in the cradle city of Catholicism was expressed for the first time by Rector of the Russian Embassy Church Archimandrite Kliment (Vernikovsky) in the end of the 19th century.
In fall 1913 Emperor Nicholas II permitted donations to be raised throughout Russia for the construction of such a church, but the Revolution 1917 thwarted the project.
The idea to build the church was put forward again in the early 1990s. The first stone of the church was laid down in January 2001 with the blessing of then Patriarch Alexy II and the construction began in April 2005. In May 2006 Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad (the present Patriarch) gave his first blessing to the church. The lower side-alter of the church was blessed in December 2006.
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21