25 May 2009, 13:36
Russian Orthodox temple blessed in Rome
Rome, May 25, Interfax - Metropolitan Valentin of Orenburg and Buzuluk consecrated the first-ever Russian Orthodox temple in Rome on May 24, the Day of St. Cyril and Methodius, with the blessing of Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill.
The Russian president's spouse Svetlana Medvedeva, Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, head of the Presidential Property Management Department Vladimir Kozhin, Russian Ambassador to Italy Alexey Meshkov, State Duma deputy Konstantin Kosachyov, Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Yakovenko, Deputy Culture Minister Pavel Khoroshilov and others also attended the ceremony.
Representatives of the Roman Catholic Church, including President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Walter Cardinal Kasper, were present as well.
The Church of Great Martyr St. Catherine was built on a hill, close to the Russian embassy residence. The idea of building an Orthodox church in the cradle city of Catholicism was expressed for the first time by Rector of the Russian Embassy Church Archimandrite Kliment (Vernikovsky) in the end of the 19th century.
In fall 1913 Emperor Nicholas II permitted donations to be raised throughout Russia for the construction of such a church, but the Revolution 1917 thwarted the project.
The idea to build the church was put forward again in the early 1990s. The first stone of the church was laid down in January 2001 with the blessing of then Patriarch Alexy II and the construction began in April 2005. In May 2006 Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad (the present Patriarch) gave his first blessing to the church. The lower side-alter of the church was blessed in December 2006.
- Terror eventually touched Turkey In result of Turkish policy of double standards, Jewish leader of Russia believes 30 June 2016, 10:26
- Six Salafism adherents detained in Kazakhstan 30 June 2016, 10:10
- Moscow would like Venice Commission to react to Rada appeal on Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly 30 June 2016, 10:07
- Eleven religious radicals arrested over case of terror attack preparation in Kazakhstan, 1 dies during arrest (updated) 29 June 2016, 15:07
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20
- Agenda of the Crete forum is miserable, it can't be called a Council - expert 17 June 2016, 10:01
- Rada's draft on giving autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is doomed to failure - expert 16 June 2016, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law 16 June 2016, 14:52