25 May 2009, 13:36
Russian Orthodox temple blessed in Rome
Rome, May 25, Interfax - Metropolitan Valentin of Orenburg and Buzuluk consecrated the first-ever Russian Orthodox temple in Rome on May 24, the Day of St. Cyril and Methodius, with the blessing of Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill.
The Russian president's spouse Svetlana Medvedeva, Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, head of the Presidential Property Management Department Vladimir Kozhin, Russian Ambassador to Italy Alexey Meshkov, State Duma deputy Konstantin Kosachyov, Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Yakovenko, Deputy Culture Minister Pavel Khoroshilov and others also attended the ceremony.
Representatives of the Roman Catholic Church, including President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Walter Cardinal Kasper, were present as well.
The Church of Great Martyr St. Catherine was built on a hill, close to the Russian embassy residence. The idea of building an Orthodox church in the cradle city of Catholicism was expressed for the first time by Rector of the Russian Embassy Church Archimandrite Kliment (Vernikovsky) in the end of the 19th century.
In fall 1913 Emperor Nicholas II permitted donations to be raised throughout Russia for the construction of such a church, but the Revolution 1917 thwarted the project.
The idea to build the church was put forward again in the early 1990s. The first stone of the church was laid down in January 2001 with the blessing of then Patriarch Alexy II and the construction began in April 2005. In May 2006 Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad (the present Patriarch) gave his first blessing to the church. The lower side-alter of the church was blessed in December 2006.
- Future of Abkhaz Orthodox faith should be based on church canons with regard for Abkhaz people's opinion - Russian Orthodox Church 24 May 2013, 19:27
- Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated) 24 May 2013, 19:24
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54