25 May 2009, 13:36
Russian Orthodox temple blessed in Rome
Rome, May 25, Interfax - Metropolitan Valentin of Orenburg and Buzuluk consecrated the first-ever Russian Orthodox temple in Rome on May 24, the Day of St. Cyril and Methodius, with the blessing of Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Kirill.
The Russian president's spouse Svetlana Medvedeva, Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov, head of the Presidential Property Management Department Vladimir Kozhin, Russian Ambassador to Italy Alexey Meshkov, State Duma deputy Konstantin Kosachyov, Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Yakovenko, Deputy Culture Minister Pavel Khoroshilov and others also attended the ceremony.
Representatives of the Roman Catholic Church, including President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Walter Cardinal Kasper, were present as well.
The Church of Great Martyr St. Catherine was built on a hill, close to the Russian embassy residence. The idea of building an Orthodox church in the cradle city of Catholicism was expressed for the first time by Rector of the Russian Embassy Church Archimandrite Kliment (Vernikovsky) in the end of the 19th century.
In fall 1913 Emperor Nicholas II permitted donations to be raised throughout Russia for the construction of such a church, but the Revolution 1917 thwarted the project.
The idea to build the church was put forward again in the early 1990s. The first stone of the church was laid down in January 2001 with the blessing of then Patriarch Alexy II and the construction began in April 2005. In May 2006 Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad (the present Patriarch) gave his first blessing to the church. The lower side-alter of the church was blessed in December 2006.
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01
- Research on tsarist family assassination case goes on actively - senior criminal investigator 25 September 2015, 16:37
- Construction of mosque begins in Simferopol 25 September 2015, 14:31