26 May 2009, 14:00
Muftis suspect Wahabis involved in murder of Dagestan's deputy head Muslim
Makhachkala, May 26, Interfax - The Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims has linked the murder of Ahmed Tagayev, deputy head of the Dagestani Muslim Spiritual Board and head of the public organization called Za Nravstvennost (For Ethics), to his professional activities, and in particular, his opposition to radical Islam.
"He was a well-known religious figure, but if they want to intimidate us, they will find it is very hard to intimidate a religious person," Anas Pshikhachev, first deputy chairman of the Coordination Center, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
The mufti linked Tagayev's murder to his professional activities, "as he was strong opponent of Wahhabism."
The Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims will soon hold a meeting, where it will raise the issue of how to protect Islamic clergy from extremists, he said.
Tagayev was killed in Makhachkala on Monday.
This is not the first such incident in Dagestan. In November 2008, an attack was made against the Dagestan mufti's advisor, Sultan Sultanmagomedov, and his driver. Both sustained shrapnel wounds from the explosion. Urmagomed Gajimagomedov, a servant from a local mosque and a vocal opponent of extremists, was killed in October 2007.
There are up to one hundred of subvertionists and around 1,500 Wahabis in the republic, Dagestan's Interior Ministry said last autumn.
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43