26 May 2009, 14:00
Muftis suspect Wahabis involved in murder of Dagestan's deputy head Muslim
Makhachkala, May 26, Interfax - The Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims has linked the murder of Ahmed Tagayev, deputy head of the Dagestani Muslim Spiritual Board and head of the public organization called Za Nravstvennost (For Ethics), to his professional activities, and in particular, his opposition to radical Islam.
"He was a well-known religious figure, but if they want to intimidate us, they will find it is very hard to intimidate a religious person," Anas Pshikhachev, first deputy chairman of the Coordination Center, told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
The mufti linked Tagayev's murder to his professional activities, "as he was strong opponent of Wahhabism."
The Coordination Center of North Caucasus Muslims will soon hold a meeting, where it will raise the issue of how to protect Islamic clergy from extremists, he said.
Tagayev was killed in Makhachkala on Monday.
This is not the first such incident in Dagestan. In November 2008, an attack was made against the Dagestan mufti's advisor, Sultan Sultanmagomedov, and his driver. Both sustained shrapnel wounds from the explosion. Urmagomed Gajimagomedov, a servant from a local mosque and a vocal opponent of extremists, was killed in October 2007.
There are up to one hundred of subvertionists and around 1,500 Wahabis in the republic, Dagestan's Interior Ministry said last autumn.
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54