01 July 2009, 18:10
Patriarch Kirill hopes to improve relations with the Constantinople Patriarch during his visit to Turkey
Moscow, July 1, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox Church says the main objective of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia’s visit to Turkey is restoring relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate and discussing moot points.
“His Holiness Patriarch Kirill wants this visit to open a new page in relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate. We need to give up confrontation and conflicts and create a system of mutual trust as the local Orthodox Churches make one family,” head of the Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk has told journalists on Wednesday commenting on Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Turkish Ambassador in Russia Halil Akinci.
According to Archbishop Hilarion, future relations of the two Churches should exclude a situation similar to the one developed in Estonia in 1996. The Archbishop noted, then “Constantinople unilaterally proclaimed its jurisdiction and it resulted in a conflict situation, which still remains unsettled.”
“We hope that Patriarchs of the two great Churches in fraternal communication will find the way to agree over the format of relations, format that will exclude such misunderstanding and be based on total mutual trust and fraternal love,” Archbishop Hilarion said.
He also reminded that Patriarch Kirill had more than once pointed out that “victory” in the inter-Orthodox dialogue is impossible for only one of its participants. According to the Archbishop, such a dialogue should be aimed at victory, at achieving the result acceptable for all.
“Patriarch Kirill will go to Constantinople with the warmest feelings and kind intentions. We hope this visit will also help the Constantinople Patriarch settle his inner problems and we expect this visit to be a success,” the Russian Church official said.
Patriarch Kirill plans to visit Turkey on July 4-6, 2009.
- Most Orthodox Christians support decision to sever communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill 19 October 2018, 17:38
- Constantinople refuses to sever communion with Russian Orthodox Church (updated) 19 October 2018, 17:36
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia cuts ties with Constantinople 19 October 2018, 14:31
- The Ukrainian metropolitan: Constantinople abandoned God 19 October 2018, 13:07
- Putin about nuclear war: we'll go straight to paradise, while they will simply pop off 19 October 2018, 10:58
- St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to stay property of state - press service for Sophia of Kiev National Sanctuary Complex 18 October 2018, 18:43
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church disagrees with transfer of St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople 18 October 2018, 18:41
- Ukrainian parliament supports transfer of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to Constantinople 18 October 2018, 14:36
- Media review: Metropolitan Hilarion: "The fact that the Patriarchate of Constantinople has recognized a schismatic structure means for us that it itself is now in schism" 18 October 2018, 13:22
- Leaders of non-canonical churches of Ukraine differ on 'autocephaly' issue – media 18 October 2018, 11:03
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church disproves forecasts of mass exodus of its clergy, congregation to Constantinople's church 18 October 2018, 11:00
- Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko) who proclaimed himself Constantinople cleric says each Ukrainian orthodox bishop should choose whose side to belong 17 October 2018, 10:12
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43