03 July 2009, 16:45
Ties between Christians "powerful factor" in Russia-U.S. relations - Patriarch
Moscow, July 3, Interfax - Relations between Christians in Russia and the United States are "a very powerful factor" in Russian-U.S. relations in general, said Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"I am deeply convinced that relations between religious leaders and communities of the two countries are a very powerful factor of relations between [the two] peoples," Patriarch Kirill said at a meeting with U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle in Moscow on Friday.
In Russia, "great hopes are being built" on U.S. President Barack Obama's planned visit to Moscow on July 6-8, Kirill said.
"There is a belief that the basis is indeed being formed for better relations between our countries," he said.
The Russian Orthodox Church has a long history of relations with the United States, the Patriarch said. He mentioned that Russian missionaries had brought Orthodoxy to the United States.
"The presence of the Russian Church on the American continent has seriously contributed to the relations of the Orthodox Church with other Christian denominations and religions of the United States. Even in the hardest of times, the times of the Cold War, the Christians of the United States and the Soviet Union maintained good relations, and this, of course, had what was, perhaps not a very powerful, but a concrete effect on the situation," Kirill said.
The Russian Orthodox Church has always attached great significance to its relations with Christian and other religious communities in the United States, he said.
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03