21 July 2009, 16:45
Unique Russian experience of interreligious dialogue should be discussed at global level - Medvedev
Moscow, July 21, Interfax - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev believes it necessary to discuss issues of interreligious dialogue at a global level, including UNESCO platform.
"Russia has a unique experience of interreligious dialogue that has been accumulated for centuries. As a result we were able to build up a big country developing and living according to the laws where rights of all confessions are observed," the country's head has said on Tuesday at a meeting with UNESCO Director General Koichiro Matsuura and participants of the UNESCO High Level Group on interreligious dialogue.
"I believe it right to discuss both this experience and current problems at a global level, in particular using UNESCO opportunities," the Russian President said.
Medvedev said that initiative to set up the High Level Group was very interesting and actual. "I hope it will become a smooth-running and important mechanism that will contribute in strengthening the authority of UNESCO and interreligious dialogue which is the main priority of its work," Medvedev went on to say.
Matsuura thanked Medvedev for the invitation and initiative of setting up the High Level Group. "This initiative you're launching today is very important in the context of promoting interreligious dialogue," he said.
Matsuura stressed that he was looking forward to the first meeting of the Group to be held tomorrow in St. Daniel's Monastery. Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is to chair discussions on interreligious dialogue.
Patriarch Kirill, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, the President's press-secretary Natalia Timakova, representative of the Holy See in Russia Archbishop Antonio Menini, Chairman of Caucasian Muslims Office (Azerbaijan) Allahshukyur Pasha-zade, Rabbi and President of the Appeal of Conscience Foundation (USA) Rabbi Arthur Schneier also participated in the meeting.
- About 1 billion rubles were collected for building the main church of Russian Military Forces 21 September 2018, 18:29
- Serbian Orthodox Church opposes Constantinople's claim to determine Ukrainian Church's future 21 September 2018, 16:57
- Moscow lacks at least 20 synagogues 21 September 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08