21 July 2009, 16:45
Unique Russian experience of interreligious dialogue should be discussed at global level - Medvedev
Moscow, July 21, Interfax - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev believes it necessary to discuss issues of interreligious dialogue at a global level, including UNESCO platform.
"Russia has a unique experience of interreligious dialogue that has been accumulated for centuries. As a result we were able to build up a big country developing and living according to the laws where rights of all confessions are observed," the country's head has said on Tuesday at a meeting with UNESCO Director General Koichiro Matsuura and participants of the UNESCO High Level Group on interreligious dialogue.
"I believe it right to discuss both this experience and current problems at a global level, in particular using UNESCO opportunities," the Russian President said.
Medvedev said that initiative to set up the High Level Group was very interesting and actual. "I hope it will become a smooth-running and important mechanism that will contribute in strengthening the authority of UNESCO and interreligious dialogue which is the main priority of its work," Medvedev went on to say.
Matsuura thanked Medvedev for the invitation and initiative of setting up the High Level Group. "This initiative you're launching today is very important in the context of promoting interreligious dialogue," he said.
Matsuura stressed that he was looking forward to the first meeting of the Group to be held tomorrow in St. Daniel's Monastery. Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is to chair discussions on interreligious dialogue.
Patriarch Kirill, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, the President's press-secretary Natalia Timakova, representative of the Holy See in Russia Archbishop Antonio Menini, Chairman of Caucasian Muslims Office (Azerbaijan) Allahshukyur Pasha-zade, Rabbi and President of the Appeal of Conscience Foundation (USA) Rabbi Arthur Schneier also participated in the meeting.
- Russian Jews hope there won't be precedents of extremism and hostility at FIFA World Cup 23 March 2018, 17:30
- UN officials thanked Father Superior of the Donbass Lavra for supporting homeless victims of war 23 March 2018, 13:18
- Prominent Old Rite representative believes Russia has "sovereignty of the Truth" 23 March 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23