21 July 2009, 16:45
Unique Russian experience of interreligious dialogue should be discussed at global level - Medvedev
Moscow, July 21, Interfax - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev believes it necessary to discuss issues of interreligious dialogue at a global level, including UNESCO platform.
"Russia has a unique experience of interreligious dialogue that has been accumulated for centuries. As a result we were able to build up a big country developing and living according to the laws where rights of all confessions are observed," the country's head has said on Tuesday at a meeting with UNESCO Director General Koichiro Matsuura and participants of the UNESCO High Level Group on interreligious dialogue.
"I believe it right to discuss both this experience and current problems at a global level, in particular using UNESCO opportunities," the Russian President said.
Medvedev said that initiative to set up the High Level Group was very interesting and actual. "I hope it will become a smooth-running and important mechanism that will contribute in strengthening the authority of UNESCO and interreligious dialogue which is the main priority of its work," Medvedev went on to say.
Matsuura thanked Medvedev for the invitation and initiative of setting up the High Level Group. "This initiative you're launching today is very important in the context of promoting interreligious dialogue," he said.
Matsuura stressed that he was looking forward to the first meeting of the Group to be held tomorrow in St. Daniel's Monastery. Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia is to chair discussions on interreligious dialogue.
Patriarch Kirill, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, the President's press-secretary Natalia Timakova, representative of the Holy See in Russia Archbishop Antonio Menini, Chairman of Caucasian Muslims Office (Azerbaijan) Allahshukyur Pasha-zade, Rabbi and President of the Appeal of Conscience Foundation (USA) Rabbi Arthur Schneier also participated in the meeting.
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47