03 August 2009, 10:07
Russian Supreme Court upholds banning Islamic organization as extremist
Moscow, August 3, Interfax - The Appeal Board of the Russian Supreme Court has upheld a ruling on finding the religious organization Tablighi Jamaat as extremist and banning its activities in Russia.
"The decision has been left unchanged, and the appeal was turned down," Supreme Court spokesman Pavel Odintsov told Interfax.
The Supreme Court granted a Prosecutor General's Office request on finding Tablighi Jamaat as an extremist organization in early May.
Tablighi Jamaat, whose headquarters are in India, is engaged in propagating Islam worldwide.
Media sometimes call the organization "an invisible legion of jihad."
Meanwhile, the Prosecutor General's Office website reported that the court had resolved that the activities of Tablighi Jamaat's structural divisions "threaten interethnic and inter-religious stability in Russian society and territorial integrity of the Russian Federation."
"The said religious association's purposes include the establishment of global supremacy through disseminating a radical form of Islam and the foundation of a unified Islamic state called the Global Caliphate on the basis of regions with traditionally Muslim populations," it said.
The law enforcement agencies of some Central Asian states consider Tablighi Jamaat a potential threat to their national security. In Tajikistan, Tablighi Jamaat's activities were earlier banned by a court.
Tablighi Jamaat is not officially registered anywhere.
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05
- Chernovtsy and Bukovina Diocese searched, high treason case opened – media 25 November 2022, 18:00
- Russia's State Duma adopts package of bills banning LGBT propaganda 24 November 2022, 15:58
- Marketplaces to be banned from selling goods with LGBT propaganda in Russia 23 November 2022, 16:53
- Ukrainian law enforcement officers find pro-Russian literature when searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church establishments - media 23 November 2022, 13:41
- Bill on banning Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine registered in Verkhovnaya Rada 23 November 2022, 10:34
- Russian Orthodox Church says persecution of monks in Kiev Pechersk Laura Monastery must stop 22 November 2022, 14:21
- Searches at Kiev Lavra of the Caves are yet another link in 'chain of military actions' of Ukraine against Russian Orthodoxy – Peskov 22 November 2022, 13:53
- Ukrainian Security Service looking for saboteurs, weapons at Kiev Lavra of the Caves 22 November 2022, 12:42
- Patriarch Kirill says the fate of the world depends on the future of Russia 21 November 2022, 11:58
- Putin sends birthday greetings to Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2022, 11:54
- Sex change propaganda to be penalized by fine of 50,000 to 1 mln rubles in Russia under amendments approved by Duma committee 21 November 2022, 11:52
- Russian bailiffs forcibly collecting 6-mln-ruble fines from TikTok for LGBT propaganda 17 November 2022, 11:10
- Russia's Patriarch Kirill says ready to speak on western TV 16 November 2022, 18:41
- Putin calls high spiritual and moral guidelines the basis of Russia's identity 15 November 2022, 16:58
- Verkhovnaya Rada deputy initiates transfer of Kiev Lavra of the Caves to Orthodox church of Ukraine 15 November 2022, 16:25
- State Duma may pass bill banning LGBT propaganda next week 14 November 2022, 20:30
- Putin signs decree on foundations of state policy for consolidating traditional Russian values 09 November 2022, 18:46
- Archpriest Mikhail Vasilyev who died in Special Military Operation zone awarded Hero of Russia title 08 November 2022, 22:40
- Patriarch Kirill says the current challenges threaten the very existence of Russia 07 November 2022, 13:27
- FJCR president says no growth of anti-Semitism in Russia 03 November 2022, 15:52