03 August 2009, 10:07
Russian Supreme Court upholds banning Islamic organization as extremist
Moscow, August 3, Interfax - The Appeal Board of the Russian Supreme Court has upheld a ruling on finding the religious organization Tablighi Jamaat as extremist and banning its activities in Russia.
"The decision has been left unchanged, and the appeal was turned down," Supreme Court spokesman Pavel Odintsov told Interfax.
The Supreme Court granted a Prosecutor General's Office request on finding Tablighi Jamaat as an extremist organization in early May.
Tablighi Jamaat, whose headquarters are in India, is engaged in propagating Islam worldwide.
Media sometimes call the organization "an invisible legion of jihad."
Meanwhile, the Prosecutor General's Office website reported that the court had resolved that the activities of Tablighi Jamaat's structural divisions "threaten interethnic and inter-religious stability in Russian society and territorial integrity of the Russian Federation."
"The said religious association's purposes include the establishment of global supremacy through disseminating a radical form of Islam and the foundation of a unified Islamic state called the Global Caliphate on the basis of regions with traditionally Muslim populations," it said.
The law enforcement agencies of some Central Asian states consider Tablighi Jamaat a potential threat to their national security. In Tajikistan, Tablighi Jamaat's activities were earlier banned by a court.
Tablighi Jamaat is not officially registered anywhere.
- The Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks Zelensky to put an end to her oppression 12 May 2022, 17:27
- Jehovah's Witnesses member in Nizhny Novgorod given 6-year suspended sentence 12 May 2022, 11:23
- Sanctions against Patriarch Kirill will not affect his activities in any way – Russian Church 10 May 2022, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill describes Russia as self-sufficient country which doesn't want to harm anyone 08 May 2022, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to pray for Russia to be protected from external, internal enemies 06 May 2022, 14:26
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force 06 May 2022, 12:06
- Russia to hold consultations with Hamas on situation around Al-Aqsa 05 May 2022, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill can't be scared with sanctions - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 16:01
- Pope Francis' recount of conversation with Patriarch Kirill incorrect - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 15:38
- Russian Orthodox Church asks to use its potential in opening humanitarian corridors in special operation zone 04 May 2022, 14:47
- No agreement on Putin's meeting with Pontiff – Peskov 04 May 2022, 14:10
- Russia never attacked anyone, always protected its borders - Patriarch Kirill 04 May 2022, 12:10
- Russian Orthodox Church indicates interest in achievement of lasting peace in Ukraine 29 April 2022, 16:44
- The Russian Church' speaker calls the "culture of cancellation" a self-reprimand of civilization 29 April 2022, 12:46
- The Russian Foreign Ministry advised Washington to take care of religious freedoms in the United States 29 April 2022, 12:39
- Serbian patriarch assures Patriarch Kirill of support of Russian Orthodox Church amid Ukraine crisis 27 April 2022, 22:26
- The Russian Security Council paid tribute to Christian leaders who disagree with the Russophobia of the "collective West" 27 April 2022, 15:40
- Belarusian MPs approve imposition of death penalty for terrorism 27 April 2022, 13:53
- The ISS crew showed Patriarch Kirill a cake floating in zero gravity 27 April 2022, 11:18
- Patrushev advocated the reform of education in the Russia with an emphasis on the development of intelligence and spirituality 27 April 2022, 10:59
- Patrushev pointed out the special role of Russia in shaping the geopolitical and moral climate in the world 27 April 2022, 10:32
- Twenty-eight terror attacks prevented in Russia in 2021 - prosecutor general 26 April 2022, 13:50
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russians to stand up to protect national independence 25 April 2022, 17:48
- Russian Orthodox Church views idea to impose sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as rejection of common sense 24 April 2022, 16:51
- Meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis postponed due to events of recent months - Russian Church 22 April 2022, 14:17
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church proposes evacuating civilians, casualties from Mariupol 21 April 2022, 17:08
- About 30% of Russian women of reproductive age want to have at least 3 children – poll 21 April 2022, 15:53
- Russian Orthodox Church trusted by two-thirds of Russians – poll 21 April 2022, 10:00
- Over 60% of Russians identify themselves as Orthodox, 23% say they are atheists 20 April 2022, 10:00
- Kremlin expects Israeli authorities to help resolve Alexander Metochion situation 19 April 2022, 16:02