13 August 2009, 17:08
The jury is established to consider the murder case of Jesuit priests in Moscow
Moscow, August 13, Interfax - The Moscow City Court established the jury to examine the murder case of two Jesuit priests in Moscow in October last year.
The trial on the merits of case is scheduled for August 17. The case will be considered in closed proceedings.
Mikhail Orekhov is charged with murder of two members of the Society of Jesus Otto Messmer and Viktor Betancourt.
"The investigation established that Orekhov's intent to kill Viktor Betancourt arose in a state of intoxication due to personal hostile relations when the victim tried to persuade him to commit a sexual act with him," press service of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Prosecutor's Office reported earlier to Interfax.
According to the investigation results, Orekhov hit the priest on the head with a dumb-bell no less than 11 times.
The investigation holds that Orekhov committed the second murder to conceal the first one: pastor Messmer returned from Germany to the apartment where Betancourt had been killed. "Orekhov referred himself to Messmer as the victim's friend, followed him to the room and then killed him in the same way," the report of Investigative Committee reads.
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes third world war won't happen, despite aggressive rhetoric 08 May 2021, 17:56
- Jewish community of Russia urges to help relatives of victims crushed on Mt. Meron 30 April 2021, 16:37
- UOC head urges participants in the Donbass conflict to cease fire on Easter days 30 April 2021, 13:46
- Kremlin hasn't received official proposal from Zelensky to meet with Putin at Vatican 28 April 2021, 13:25
- Epicenter of persecutions against Christians has moved from the Middle East to Africa - report 28 April 2021, 13:13
- Zelensky calls Vatican optimal venue for meeting with Putin 28 April 2021, 12:15
- There are 2 billion Christians and 4 million churches in the world, the Russian church official reports 28 April 2021, 10:18
- Russia’s first monastery-based vaccination center against Covid-19 opened in Belgorod 28 April 2021, 10:15
- RJC demands those who attacked Jewish community building in Moscow be found, punished 28 April 2021, 10:00
- Georgia to suspend public transport services during Orthodox Easter holidays due to Covid-19 26 April 2021, 16:31
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of offer to head up opposition in 1990s 26 April 2021, 11:50
- Russian archaeologists to examine about a dozen ancient Christian churches in Syria 26 April 2021, 11:36
- FSB busts the Siberian Hizb ut-Tahrir cell that recruited Muslims 23 April 2021, 12:05
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00