04 September 2009, 10:01
Nearly 70% Russians approve of introducing Orthodox religion in schools - poll
Moscow, September 4, Interfax - Russians are supporting the plans to introduce the Foundations of the Orthodox Culture as a new school curriculum subject, a nationwide poll has shown.
Almost 70% of polled Russians approve of the introduction of this subject at schools, with a quarter of them totally supporting this idea and 44% being more supportive than not, the Levada Center, a pollster, told Interfax.
The survey was conducted among 1,600 respondents in 128 towns across 46 Russian regions on August 14-17. One-fifth of them (19%) were against the introduction of the Orthodox religion at Russian schools.
Seventy-two percent of Russians believe that primary schools in Russian republics should teach both in Russian and in the language spoken by a local ethnic group, at parents' choice. Twenty-one percent want subjects to be taught in Russian only, the rest (7%) could not answer the question.
Russian president Dmitry Medvedev earlier suggested introducing the foundations of the religious culture, history of religion, and the foundations of the secular ethics as an experiment at schools in the Russian regions.
- Attackers of Russian church and school will be found, German deputy believes 29 May 2015, 12:15
- Tajik OMON commander confirms he is fighting alongside IS for Muslim rights in Syria 28 May 2015, 13:01
- Member of Tajikistan Islamic Renaissance Party punished for polygamy 28 May 2015, 12:13
- Patriarch Kirill among ten Russians, compatriots trust most of all 28 May 2015, 11:12
- Patriarch Kirill's page in VKontakte was viewed more than a million times for the first three days 27 May 2015, 18:08
- Russia answers to the cast challenge with the splash of optimism 26 May 2015, 17:10
- Mass abortions in Russia contradict to international legal norms, renowned priest believes 26 May 2015, 10:08
- Hundreds of polygamous marriages are made in Moscow according to Sharia law every year - mufti 25 May 2015, 18:09
- Moscow Patriarchate church set on fire in northwestern Ukraine 25 May 2015, 15:13
- Moscow condemns Friday bomb attack at Saudi mosque 25 May 2015, 10:56
- Putin says Russian Orthodox Church remains leading spiritual component of society 25 May 2015, 10:10
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08
- Three religious organizations get warnings from Justice Ministry for breaches of legislation 08 May 2015, 17:20
- Xi Jinping praise Russian Church's role in fight against fascism 08 May 2015, 17:13
- Orthodox faith was the decisive factor for the Victory, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 08 May 2015, 15:13