21 September 2009, 13:19
Archbishop Hilarion shares with Pope his concern about Orthodox dioceses in Ukraine destroyed by the Uniates
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - During a talk with Pope Benedict XVI, Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk pointed out the status of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine where three Orthodox dioceses had been almost eliminated as a result of coercive actions of Greek Catholics in late 1980s and early 1990s.
The communication service of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations reports that Archbishop Hilarion "stated the need to take practical steps to improve the situation in Western Ukraine," within the territories of Lvov, Ternopol and Invano-Frankovsk Dioceses.
During an hour meeting held Friday in the Pope's residence in Castel Gandolfo, the parties discussed a wide range of issues of bilateral relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches.
Archbishop Hilarion highlighted the importance of mutual testimony by Orthodox and Catholic believers of traditional Christian values before the secular world. He noted the identiсal views of the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches on such matters as family, maternity, demographic crisis, euthanasia and many other ethical problems.
Archbishop stated that there were certain significant differences on these matters between the Orthodox and the Catholics, on the one hand, as well as with different Protestant communities which had pursued the liberalization of the Christian teaching.
In this context, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches to develop a mutual position on the above matters gains specific meaning, Archbishop Hilarion believes.
Archbishop Hilarion and Pope Benedict XVI discussed the challenges and prospects of the theological dialogue between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches.
In closing of the meeting, which was reportedly conducted with meaningful understanding, the parties discussed the prospects of cooperation between the two Churches on cultural matters, in particular, holding the Days of Russian Religious Culture in Rome in spring of 2010.
Archbishop Hilarion presented the Pope with a pectoral cross made in the workshops of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54
- Russia's going back to death penalty would only make jihadist suicide bombers laugh - head of human rights council 20 November 2015, 14:43
- Mufti Tajuddin supports idea of introducing death penalty for terrorists 20 November 2015, 14:40
- Rights activists oppose idea of going back to death penalty for terrorists in Russia 20 November 2015, 13:55
- Russian Muslims support idea of global anti-terrorist coalition - head of Russian Council of Muftis 20 November 2015, 13:33
- Head of Tatarstan's State Council speaks against identifying Islam with terrorism 20 November 2015, 12:57
- Russian Orthodox Church believes intl coalition needed to fight terrorism 20 November 2015, 12:34
- Kremlin proceeds from moratorium on death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 12:24
- Requiem services for the White Army officers to be held in Russia, Europe and the USA to commemorate the 95th anniversary of their exodus from Crimea 20 November 2015, 10:00
- Former private from Bashkortostan jailed for five years for membership in Hizb ut-Tahrir 19 November 2015, 10:14
- Russian Church blesses Russia, France to fight terrorism together 18 November 2015, 17:06