21 September 2009, 13:19
Archbishop Hilarion shares with Pope his concern about Orthodox dioceses in Ukraine destroyed by the Uniates
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - During a talk with Pope Benedict XVI, Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk pointed out the status of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine where three Orthodox dioceses had been almost eliminated as a result of coercive actions of Greek Catholics in late 1980s and early 1990s.
The communication service of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations reports that Archbishop Hilarion "stated the need to take practical steps to improve the situation in Western Ukraine," within the territories of Lvov, Ternopol and Invano-Frankovsk Dioceses.
During an hour meeting held Friday in the Pope's residence in Castel Gandolfo, the parties discussed a wide range of issues of bilateral relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches.
Archbishop Hilarion highlighted the importance of mutual testimony by Orthodox and Catholic believers of traditional Christian values before the secular world. He noted the identiсal views of the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches on such matters as family, maternity, demographic crisis, euthanasia and many other ethical problems.
Archbishop stated that there were certain significant differences on these matters between the Orthodox and the Catholics, on the one hand, as well as with different Protestant communities which had pursued the liberalization of the Christian teaching.
In this context, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches to develop a mutual position on the above matters gains specific meaning, Archbishop Hilarion believes.
Archbishop Hilarion and Pope Benedict XVI discussed the challenges and prospects of the theological dialogue between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches.
In closing of the meeting, which was reportedly conducted with meaningful understanding, the parties discussed the prospects of cooperation between the two Churches on cultural matters, in particular, holding the Days of Russian Religious Culture in Rome in spring of 2010.
Archbishop Hilarion presented the Pope with a pectoral cross made in the workshops of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Rights of Christians trampled in 75% of the countries - statistics 03 July 2015, 15:49
- Union of Orthodox Citizens suggests setting up monument to St. Vladimir at the Kievsky Railway Station in Moscow instead of Monument to Europe 03 July 2015, 14:40
- Russian Jewish community mourns over Nicholas Winton, who saved hundreds of children from the Holocaust 02 July 2015, 20:14
- Imam detained in Kyrgyzstan plotted terror acts, coup - Interior Ministry 02 July 2015, 14:55
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04
- Russia extradites Islamic Party of Turkestan extremist to Uzbekistan 22 June 2015, 17:40
- New attempts of the Ukrainian schismatics to set up a local church have no prospects, the UOC official believes 22 June 2015, 17:38
- Leader of Islamic Party is afraid to return to Tajikistan 22 June 2015, 10:40
- Archbishopric of Brussels and Belgium rejects Belgian courts' claims on its assets 22 June 2015, 10:13