21 September 2009, 13:19
Archbishop Hilarion shares with Pope his concern about Orthodox dioceses in Ukraine destroyed by the Uniates
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - During a talk with Pope Benedict XVI, Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk pointed out the status of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine where three Orthodox dioceses had been almost eliminated as a result of coercive actions of Greek Catholics in late 1980s and early 1990s.
The communication service of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations reports that Archbishop Hilarion "stated the need to take practical steps to improve the situation in Western Ukraine," within the territories of Lvov, Ternopol and Invano-Frankovsk Dioceses.
During an hour meeting held Friday in the Pope's residence in Castel Gandolfo, the parties discussed a wide range of issues of bilateral relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches.
Archbishop Hilarion highlighted the importance of mutual testimony by Orthodox and Catholic believers of traditional Christian values before the secular world. He noted the identiсal views of the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches on such matters as family, maternity, demographic crisis, euthanasia and many other ethical problems.
Archbishop stated that there were certain significant differences on these matters between the Orthodox and the Catholics, on the one hand, as well as with different Protestant communities which had pursued the liberalization of the Christian teaching.
In this context, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches to develop a mutual position on the above matters gains specific meaning, Archbishop Hilarion believes.
Archbishop Hilarion and Pope Benedict XVI discussed the challenges and prospects of the theological dialogue between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches.
In closing of the meeting, which was reportedly conducted with meaningful understanding, the parties discussed the prospects of cooperation between the two Churches on cultural matters, in particular, holding the Days of Russian Religious Culture in Rome in spring of 2010.
Archbishop Hilarion presented the Pope with a pectoral cross made in the workshops of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32
- Coronavirus-induced self-isolation helps reduce ethnic and religious violence - human rights activist 10 November 2020, 10:23
- Moscow religious organizations have weak influence on local migrants - mufti 10 November 2020, 10:21
- Performance artist posing as Christ detained near FSB headquarters in Moscow 06 November 2020, 10:25
- Putin said inadmissible to hurt feelings of believers, to allow extremism - Peskov 05 November 2020, 13:29
- Russian Orthodox Church warns against danger of unsanctioned exorcism 05 November 2020, 10:40
- Patriarch Kirill mourns over victims of Vienna terrorist attack 05 November 2020, 10:38
- Inter-ethnic relations situation exacerbated in several countries, Russia must not allow this - Putin 05 November 2020, 10:37
- Putin backs idea of int'l ban on insulting religious feelings 05 November 2020, 10:33
- Russia's Chief Rabbi Lazar opposed to phrase 'Islamic terrorism' 03 November 2020, 19:00
- Freedom of speech mustn't hurt religious feelings - Russia's Matviyenko 03 November 2020, 18:27
- Lukashenko calls on Catholic Church to play constructive role in Belarus 03 November 2020, 15:56
- Expert on Islam calls the terrorist attack in Vienna an echo of the caricature scandal in France 03 November 2020, 13:00
- People illegally held in village church parish in Russia's Ivanovo Region, criminal case opened 03 November 2020, 12:16