21 September 2009, 13:19
Archbishop Hilarion shares with Pope his concern about Orthodox dioceses in Ukraine destroyed by the Uniates
Moscow, September 21, Interfax - During a talk with Pope Benedict XVI, Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk pointed out the status of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine where three Orthodox dioceses had been almost eliminated as a result of coercive actions of Greek Catholics in late 1980s and early 1990s.
The communication service of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations reports that Archbishop Hilarion "stated the need to take practical steps to improve the situation in Western Ukraine," within the territories of Lvov, Ternopol and Invano-Frankovsk Dioceses.
During an hour meeting held Friday in the Pope's residence in Castel Gandolfo, the parties discussed a wide range of issues of bilateral relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches.
Archbishop Hilarion highlighted the importance of mutual testimony by Orthodox and Catholic believers of traditional Christian values before the secular world. He noted the identiсal views of the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches on such matters as family, maternity, demographic crisis, euthanasia and many other ethical problems.
Archbishop stated that there were certain significant differences on these matters between the Orthodox and the Catholics, on the one hand, as well as with different Protestant communities which had pursued the liberalization of the Christian teaching.
In this context, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches to develop a mutual position on the above matters gains specific meaning, Archbishop Hilarion believes.
Archbishop Hilarion and Pope Benedict XVI discussed the challenges and prospects of the theological dialogue between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches.
In closing of the meeting, which was reportedly conducted with meaningful understanding, the parties discussed the prospects of cooperation between the two Churches on cultural matters, in particular, holding the Days of Russian Religious Culture in Rome in spring of 2010.
Archbishop Hilarion presented the Pope with a pectoral cross made in the workshops of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04
- Russian Orthodox Church will be built in Kabul 28 September 2017, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Uzbekistan 27 September 2017, 15:43
- Russia was the first to discover destructive essence of Gulen's sect - Mufti Krganov 27 September 2017, 10:29
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52