05 October 2009, 12:44
Orthodox Ukrainians promise mass actions of protest if the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes dissenters
Odessa, October 5, Interfax - Members of the Ukrainian Orthodox community state that if the Patriarchate of Constantinople initiates the procedure for recognition of dissenters from the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church, they will hold mass protest actions.
"As part of such actions, the Orthodox believers of Novorossia (south eastern Ukraine) intend going to Istanbul to picket the residence of Patriarch of Constantinople," head of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox Citizens Valery Kaurov told Monday to Interfax-Religion.
He highlighted that the Orthodox people of Ukraine "will never accept such interference".
"Moreover, such interference and the involvement of President Yushenko in this scheme who is likely to bang the door on his way out will be a disaster for the Patriarchate of Constantinople," Kaurov said.
In this context, he recalled the words of Metropolitan Sergy (Stragorodsky) of Moscow and Kolomna during the period when the Constantinople Patriarchate had been seeking to recognize the Renovationists' schism in the USSR: "If the Patriarch of Constantinople recognizes the Renovationists, it will be not the Renovationists who become Orthodox, but rather the Constantinople Patriarchate becomes schismatic."
Kaurov noted that the unity of the Russian Church "is an axiom and is not subject to any discussions."
"A dialogue with the dissenters may be only focused on their return to the Canonical Church which shall never break away from the Moscow Patriarchate "until the end of time", and the Orthodox people of Ukraine will always support the unity of the Russian Church within its canonical territory of the Great, Small and White Holy Rus," he added.
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04