05 October 2009, 12:44
Orthodox Ukrainians promise mass actions of protest if the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes dissenters
Odessa, October 5, Interfax - Members of the Ukrainian Orthodox community state that if the Patriarchate of Constantinople initiates the procedure for recognition of dissenters from the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church, they will hold mass protest actions.
"As part of such actions, the Orthodox believers of Novorossia (south eastern Ukraine) intend going to Istanbul to picket the residence of Patriarch of Constantinople," head of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox Citizens Valery Kaurov told Monday to Interfax-Religion.
He highlighted that the Orthodox people of Ukraine "will never accept such interference".
"Moreover, such interference and the involvement of President Yushenko in this scheme who is likely to bang the door on his way out will be a disaster for the Patriarchate of Constantinople," Kaurov said.
In this context, he recalled the words of Metropolitan Sergy (Stragorodsky) of Moscow and Kolomna during the period when the Constantinople Patriarchate had been seeking to recognize the Renovationists' schism in the USSR: "If the Patriarch of Constantinople recognizes the Renovationists, it will be not the Renovationists who become Orthodox, but rather the Constantinople Patriarchate becomes schismatic."
Kaurov noted that the unity of the Russian Church "is an axiom and is not subject to any discussions."
"A dialogue with the dissenters may be only focused on their return to the Canonical Church which shall never break away from the Moscow Patriarchate "until the end of time", and the Orthodox people of Ukraine will always support the unity of the Russian Church within its canonical territory of the Great, Small and White Holy Rus," he added.
- Belarusian Catholics deny info on U.S. interference in religious situation in country 30 September 2020, 12:24
- U.S. trying to play Belarusian Orthodox, Catholics off against each other - Russian foreign intelligence chief 29 September 2020, 16:32
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful settlement of conflict in Karabakh 28 September 2020, 13:25
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45