05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10
- Kremlin receives no notice from Kadyrov on readiness to resign as Chechnya head to defend Al-Aqsa Mosque 28 July 2017, 13:26
- Kadyrov suggests holy sites on Temple Mount be returned under Jordan's control 28 July 2017, 10:31
- Israeli ambassador to Russia hopes Moscow to support security measures on Jerusalem's Temple Mount 26 July 2017, 18:19
- Russia could assume role in resolving conflict around Temple Mount in Jerusalem - Palestinian ambassador 26 July 2017, 17:12
- Israel commits to preserve full access to holy places in Jerusalem - ambassador to Russia 26 July 2017, 17:07
- FJCR convinced that scandal surrounding Temple Mount is anti-Semites' work 25 July 2017, 18:38
- Almost 80% of Russians approve of Jehovah's Witnesses ban in country – poll 25 July 2017, 10:00
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00