05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54