05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Putin congratulates Metropolitan Onufry on election as Ukrainian Orthodox Church primate 14 August 2014, 15:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate": election of Metropolitan Onufry head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church demonstrates pro-Moscow moods of majority of bishops 14 August 2014, 12:06
- Poroshenko hopes "achievements of Ukrainian Orthodoxy will multiply" under Metropolitan Onufry 14 August 2014, 10:51
- Election of Metropolitan Onufry strengthens hopes for peace in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 14 August 2014, 10:09
- Ukraine's Moscow-lead Orthodox Church open to dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate" 14 August 2014, 10:09
- New head of Ukrainian Church urges an end to bloodshed 14 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill affirmed election of Metropolitan Onufry as Ukrainian church leader 13 August 2014, 18:57
- Metropolitan Onufry elected primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 13 August 2014, 18:36
- Expert points out to new Turkish president connections with radical Islamists 13 August 2014, 14:55
- Security tightened in area of Bishops Council meeting in Kiev Laura of the Caves 13 August 2014, 14:08
- Russian expert on Islam believes we'll soon forget about secular Turkey 13 August 2014, 12:26
- Hundreds of refugees from south-east Ukraine sheltered in monasteries, crisis centers, parishioners' and priests' houses 13 August 2014, 11:54