05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04