05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28
- Ukrainian militants shelled Donetsk neighborhood where Easter service was held 13 April 2015, 12:16
- Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew 13 April 2015, 10:02
- Great feast of Easter brings joy and hope to millions of Christians - Putin 13 April 2015, 10:01
- Georgian president, pope discuss regional security 10 April 2015, 17:47
- Ukraine releases abducted hieromonk 10 April 2015, 17:42
- ISIS begins embedding itself in terrorist organizations working in Russia - FSB 10 April 2015, 15:49
- FSB: ISIL poses real threat to SCO member countries 10 April 2015, 15:45
- Ukrainian border guards to allow crossing of residents living close to border during Easter holidays 10 April 2015, 13:14
- Fire at mosque in Dagestan's Kizlyar extinguished, no one hurt 10 April 2015, 10:40
- Jewish public and religious activists of Crimea ask to abolish sanctions against Russia 10 April 2015, 10:08
- Central mosque on fire in Dagestan's Kizlyar 10 April 2015, 10:06
- Four Bashkortostan residents convicted for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir group in Russia 10 April 2015, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill: Western sanctions illegal but useful experience for Russia 10 April 2015, 10:03
- Putin presents Tsipras with icon stolen by Nazis from Greece 10 April 2015, 10:01
- Onishchenko questions ethics of head transplant surgery 09 April 2015, 17:52
- New synagogue vandalized in Arkhangelsk 09 April 2015, 17:31