05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06