05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02