05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02