05 November 2009, 16:54
ECHR's banning of crucifix in Italian schools could destabilize Europe - Russian Church
Strasburg, November 5, Interfax - The recent decision by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) to outlaw the display of crucifix at Italian public schools could lead to destabilization across Europe, said Hegumen Filaret (Bulekov), Moscow Patriarchate's representative to the Council of Europe.
"Europe could be faced with public destabilization, with rising protest sentiments over the issues which have not caused public tensions before. In this particular case, it is precisely "the human rights" and their interpretation by an authoritative European judicial body that could act as a new factor of instability," Father Filaret told Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
On November 3 the ECHR banned the display of crucifix at Italian public schools in response to the lawsuit filed by this country's citizen, Soile Lautsi. The woman complained that the Christian symbols displayed in the classrooms of the schools attended by her children prevented them from getting a secular education. The Italian government announced its plans to protest this court ruling.
The Strasbourg court's ruling "has dealt a very serious blow to the concept of human rights and liberties," and in general, this decision shows "a deep crisis of the rights protection approach," which also reflects the processes that have occurred in Europe in past few years, for instance, the exclusion of the mentioning of Christianity from the preamble of the European Constitution, Father Filaret said.
"The set precedent is extremely dangerous. Today they are demanding to remove crucifixes from schools in catholic countries. Tomorrow they will demand the removal of "Christian signs" from the historical national symbols of the European countries. One can imagine that time will come when on the same grounds, and using the same argument, they will demand to remove crosses from thousands of European cathedrals," the Moscow Patriarchate's representative said.
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57
- Chapel founded at the site of September 11 terrorist act in New York 22 October 2014, 10:03
- Uniates leader calls UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate the only canonical Church of Ukraine 22 October 2014, 10:02
- Head of the Patriarchal Commission on Family suggests banning Internet and computer games for people under 21 22 October 2014, 10:01
- Russians see more threats from the USA than from radical Islamists - poll 21 October 2014, 14:52
- Archpriest Chaplin to Khodorkovsky: people basing on God's law instead of oligarchs and West will determine Russia's future 21 October 2014, 14:49
- Church arson reported in Ukraine's Chernigov Region 21 October 2014, 14:00
- Russian Jewish community sets example for Europe - Rabbi Lazar 21 October 2014, 11:42
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02
- Eight Hizb ut-Tahrir figures arrested in Kazan 16 October 2014, 10:01
- Kazakhstan outlaws Al-Takfir wa al-Hijra 15 October 2014, 12:14
- Putin accuses human rights defenders of ignoring the persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 October 2014, 10:11
- Monument to Nicholas II to open in Belgrade 14 October 2014, 14:26
- Serbian Ambassador criticizes the West for lack of attention to the problem of destroying churches in Kosovo 14 October 2014, 13:43
- It is time to begin developing a system of Islamic education within the country's religious institutions - FSB chief 14 October 2014, 12:54
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05