20 November 2009, 13:57
Moscow priest could have been killed by extremists, pagans – sources
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Moscow priest Daniil Sysoyev most likely has been killed for his missionary activity among the non-Orthodox Russian population, a source at law enforcement agencies told Interfax.
"He had recently received constant death threats from some extremist organizations. Daniil Sysoyev complained about it several times to the Federal Security Service," the source said.
Fr. Daniil said he received anonymous phone calls and e-mails promising to "have his guts for garters," he said.
"Sysoyev received the last threat in early October. Someone called him and said he had been sentenced to a death penalty," the source said.
Rev. Daniil is known as an experienced theologian who had been in constant dispute with the extremist branches of Islam. He began receiving threats four years ago after holding a public debate with Vyacheslav Polosin, the former Orthodox priest who converted to Islam.
Fr. Daniil might also have been killed by members from the so-called sect of Rodnovers (Slavic Neo-pagans), the source told Interfax.
Investigators are following all lines of inquiry but this theory remains the main one, he said.
This is evidenced by the fact that the perpetrator did not leave the weapon at the crime scene, he said. "Rodnovers are not professional killers, which is why they count every barrel," he said.
The Rodnovers organization mainly consists of young pagans.
Earlier Rodnovers staged an explosion at one of Moscow's churches.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18