20 November 2009, 17:39
Council of Muftis expresses condolences on priest's murder
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - The Council of Muftis of Russia has expressed its condolences on the murder of Russian Orthodox priest Daniil Sysoyev and spoken against the crime's link to the Muslim community.
"On behalf of my colleagues and myself, I express my condolences. It is a violent, brazen crime. If any questions arise regarding a clergyman, answers should be sought in a civilized way, not through murder," First Deputy of the Muslim Board of the European Part of Russia, Damir Gizatullin, said to Interfax-Religion on Friday.
"We talk to people, we meet them. They may not always agree with us, but that is no reason to kill. Life was given to us by the Almighty!" he said.
"A believer could not have committed such a crime whichever religion he may belong to," Gizatullin said.
"Religion, Islam in particular, prohibits murder. The murder of one person is equated to the murder of the entire humanity. Especially as Muslims and Orthodox Christians belong to the Abrahamic religions. Such people will never raise their hand against their own brethren," he said.
In his opinion, cult followers are likely to stand behind the murder of Father Daniil.
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01