20 November 2009, 17:39
Council of Muftis expresses condolences on priest's murder
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - The Council of Muftis of Russia has expressed its condolences on the murder of Russian Orthodox priest Daniil Sysoyev and spoken against the crime's link to the Muslim community.
"On behalf of my colleagues and myself, I express my condolences. It is a violent, brazen crime. If any questions arise regarding a clergyman, answers should be sought in a civilized way, not through murder," First Deputy of the Muslim Board of the European Part of Russia, Damir Gizatullin, said to Interfax-Religion on Friday.
"We talk to people, we meet them. They may not always agree with us, but that is no reason to kill. Life was given to us by the Almighty!" he said.
"A believer could not have committed such a crime whichever religion he may belong to," Gizatullin said.
"Religion, Islam in particular, prohibits murder. The murder of one person is equated to the murder of the entire humanity. Especially as Muslims and Orthodox Christians belong to the Abrahamic religions. Such people will never raise their hand against their own brethren," he said.
In his opinion, cult followers are likely to stand behind the murder of Father Daniil.
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00