01 December 2009, 16:53
Renowned religious expert urges not to dramatize Swiss ban on minarets
Moscow, December 1, Interfax - Renowned religious expert and author of numerous works on history of modern Islam Roman Silantyev understands the ban on the construction of minarets in Switzerland and urged not to dramatize the decision.
"There's no need to dramatize the situation. Swiss Minister of Justice clearly explained this vote was not aimed against Muslims as such, but against extremist Muslims because this problem exists although Europe," Silantyev told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
According to him, Swiss understood that it was not the matter "of satisfying religious needs of Muslims, but an attempt of aggressive expansion and decided to terminate it."
"Presence or absence of a minaret in no way influences the ability of Muslims to pray. Earlier believers were summoned to prayer from minarets, today almost everyone has watches, cellular phones, alarm clocks. Minarets have lost their function, thus obsessive desire to build minarets puts many people on guard," the religious expert believes.
He pointed out Muslim countries often "exile most religiously unreliable elements and these people certainly don't leave for Africa, they go to developed countries where they're warmly welcomed, but they don't value such reception, they don't understand they've come on a visit and should respect traditions and customs of these countries."
"Pompous mosques, especially with lofty minarets, are often positioned not as a place of prayer, but as provoking symbols of presence and that's exactly the point of some Arab countries when they build bigger mosques than are really needed for communities, mosques "to grow into," the expert said.
He noted that he can recall two dozens of analogical cases in Russia when "such kind of hypermosques not correlated to size of Muslim community were to be built in some Russian cities and only the threat of national vote abandoned such plans."
- Gifts of the Magi relic from Mount Athos to visit Russia, Belarus and Ukraine 13 December 2013, 14:10
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Investigators intend to question Grozovsky lawyer as witness 13 December 2013, 10:00
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03