04 December 2009, 13:37
Moscow Patriarchate: Russian-Vatican diplomatic relations to work for welfare of nations and Churches
Moscow, December 4, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate hopes the decision to upgrade Russian representation to the Vatican to embassy will help develop links between the two states and Churches.
The Kremlin press service said, Dmitry Medevedev signed a decree on "Establishing diplomatic relations with the Vatican" and ordered the Foreign Ministry to hold talks with the Vatican to seek embassy status for the Russian mission to the Vatican.
"We hope this decree will contribute positively to development of interstate and interchurch relations," Secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Vyzhanov told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
"This decision was not unexpected as the question has been discussed for a long time," the priest further said.
According to him, "whether a representation or an embassy, it's a detail of the diplomatic protocol, while relations between the Churches take their course."
"Therefore, upgraded level of diplomatic relations is neutral for the Church. This decision formalized relations that had de-facto existed for many years," the interviewee of the agency stated.
However, Fr. Igor pointed out to "positive role of the acting Vatican representative to Moscow Antonio Mennini in improving Orthodox-Catholic relations in Russia."
"We'd like to hope that actions of the Vatican diplomats who respect the Russian Orthodox Church and work accordingly, will make a good precedent for the future," the priest said.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22