16 December 2009, 17:07
Patriarch Kirill blames Strasbourg Court in infringing on religious rights
Moscow, December 16, Interfax - The European Court of Human Rights often does not properly consider the church's rights, said Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"In our view, the court sometimes lopsidedly uses different interpretations of individual rights to the detriment of collective rights of traditional religious organizations rooted in the history and culture of European peoples," Patriarch Kirill said in a letter to Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjorn Jagland whose text the patriarchal press service made public on Wednesday.
There is a need for "a serious discussion on issues and court practice in which secular laws enter the area of canonical law and centuries-long moral and spiritual traditions of European peoples," he said.
"We are convinced that ignoring moral aspects of human rights is fraught with undermining the authority of the very concept of rights and freedoms which has become one of the achievements in modern history," he said.
These issues should be taken into account in discussing the practices of the Strasbourg Court which is "one of the Council of Europe's principal institutions, has made quite a few decisions aimed at defending dignity of particular people," Patriarch Kirill said.
The Patriarch praised cooperation between the Council of Europe and European religious communities, "which has been pursued over the past several years within the framework of the promotion and development of inter-cultural dialogue."
"We hope for the Council of Europe to step up its efforts toward implementing the proposal that has been made repeatedly that the Council of Europe set up tools for permanent and systemic cooperation with religious organizations representing the principal European religious traditions," he said.
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22
- Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada votes for sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 31 May 2022, 15:46
- Russian Church compares Borrel with the jackal Tabaki from Mowgli 31 May 2022, 14:12
- Zakharova on plans to impose sanctions against the patriarch: no one submits notes about the health of EU 31 May 2022, 13:14
- Russia has immunity against any military adventurism - Patriarch Kirill 30 May 2022, 20:54