17 December 2009, 12:57
Election of woman as head of Germany’s largest Church can make Lutherans convert to Orthodoxy and Catholicism – expert
Moscow, December 17, Interfax – Discontent the Lutherans feel about election of Margot Kaessmann head of the Evangelical Church in Germany can result in outflow of their parishioners to more traditional Christian Churches, the Association of Orthodox Experts believes.
“Degradation of Protestant communities expressed in women bishops is a chance for Orthodox witness in Europe. All clearheaded Lutherans will turn to Orthodoxy as a leader of the World Council of Churches former pastor Karl Felmy did. He became an Orthodox Christian and theologian,” the Association said in its statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
According to experts, Protestants are more likely to turn to Orthodoxy than to Catholicism, as “the stumbling block between Lutherans and Catholics is a dogma of papal impeccability.”
“It is unlikely that Lutherans will return to their origins, so Catholics should be sympathetic about Orthodox-Lutheran dialogue as for Lutherans it is better to choose traditional Church than final degradation and secularization,” authors of the document believe.
According to the statement, Russian state is also interested in Orthodox mission in Europe, as “people converted to the Russian Church will become Russophiles.”
The authors suggest conducting a church-public-state Congress of traditional values advocates in Moscow that will attract all Christian conservatives of Europe and confirm role of Russia as protector of traditional values.
“Therefore, here and now we need to launch a theological dialogue with Lutherans discontented with women bishop phenomenon and to translate Orthodox texts into German and other European languages,” Orthodox experts believe.
- Future of Abkhaz Orthodox faith should be based on church canons with regard for Abkhaz people's opinion - Russian Orthodox Church 24 May 2013, 19:27
- Abkhaz president asks Moscow Patriarchate to ordain Abkhaz bishop (updated) 24 May 2013, 19:24
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54