17 December 2009, 12:57
Election of woman as head of Germany’s largest Church can make Lutherans convert to Orthodoxy and Catholicism – expert
Moscow, December 17, Interfax – Discontent the Lutherans feel about election of Margot Kaessmann head of the Evangelical Church in Germany can result in outflow of their parishioners to more traditional Christian Churches, the Association of Orthodox Experts believes.
“Degradation of Protestant communities expressed in women bishops is a chance for Orthodox witness in Europe. All clearheaded Lutherans will turn to Orthodoxy as a leader of the World Council of Churches former pastor Karl Felmy did. He became an Orthodox Christian and theologian,” the Association said in its statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
According to experts, Protestants are more likely to turn to Orthodoxy than to Catholicism, as “the stumbling block between Lutherans and Catholics is a dogma of papal impeccability.”
“It is unlikely that Lutherans will return to their origins, so Catholics should be sympathetic about Orthodox-Lutheran dialogue as for Lutherans it is better to choose traditional Church than final degradation and secularization,” authors of the document believe.
According to the statement, Russian state is also interested in Orthodox mission in Europe, as “people converted to the Russian Church will become Russophiles.”
The authors suggest conducting a church-public-state Congress of traditional values advocates in Moscow that will attract all Christian conservatives of Europe and confirm role of Russia as protector of traditional values.
“Therefore, here and now we need to launch a theological dialogue with Lutherans discontented with women bishop phenomenon and to translate Orthodox texts into German and other European languages,” Orthodox experts believe.
- Rights of deacon Mamaladze accused of murder breached - Georgian president 22 February 2017, 16:52
- Over 200 Muslim leaders died for promoting true Islam in the North Caucasus - Pshihachev 22 February 2017, 11:04
- Patriarch Kirill calls Vitaly Churkin outstanding diplomate selflessly devoted to his duty 22 February 2017, 10:43
- Georgian prosecutors, Church could probe arrested deacon jointly - Patriarch of Georgia 21 February 2017, 19:12
- Lavrov on Kiev's decision to block the UN Security Council's statement on the death of Churkin: it's not Christian 21 February 2017, 14:25
- Renowned elder Archimandrite Kirill (Pavlov) passes away 21 February 2017, 13:28
- Priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church attacked in the Odessa Region 20 February 2017, 17:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Orthodox Church warns Russians against militaristic rhetoric 20 February 2017, 10:01
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47
- Syria's grand mufti invites Patriarch Kirill to hold interreligious conference 10 February 2017, 16:59
- Patriarch of Georgia will be operated in Germany on February 13 10 February 2017, 14:49
- Prayer service for peace in Syria held in Damascus 09 February 2017, 10:23