17 December 2009, 12:57
Election of woman as head of Germany’s largest Church can make Lutherans convert to Orthodoxy and Catholicism – expert
Moscow, December 17, Interfax – Discontent the Lutherans feel about election of Margot Kaessmann head of the Evangelical Church in Germany can result in outflow of their parishioners to more traditional Christian Churches, the Association of Orthodox Experts believes.
“Degradation of Protestant communities expressed in women bishops is a chance for Orthodox witness in Europe. All clearheaded Lutherans will turn to Orthodoxy as a leader of the World Council of Churches former pastor Karl Felmy did. He became an Orthodox Christian and theologian,” the Association said in its statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Thursday.
According to experts, Protestants are more likely to turn to Orthodoxy than to Catholicism, as “the stumbling block between Lutherans and Catholics is a dogma of papal impeccability.”
“It is unlikely that Lutherans will return to their origins, so Catholics should be sympathetic about Orthodox-Lutheran dialogue as for Lutherans it is better to choose traditional Church than final degradation and secularization,” authors of the document believe.
According to the statement, Russian state is also interested in Orthodox mission in Europe, as “people converted to the Russian Church will become Russophiles.”
The authors suggest conducting a church-public-state Congress of traditional values advocates in Moscow that will attract all Christian conservatives of Europe and confirm role of Russia as protector of traditional values.
“Therefore, here and now we need to launch a theological dialogue with Lutherans discontented with women bishop phenomenon and to translate Orthodox texts into German and other European languages,” Orthodox experts believe.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18