13 January 2010, 10:32
Russian Orthodox Church tight-lipped about possible meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Benedict XVI
Moscow, January 13, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has said it is not willing to talk about details surrounding a possible meeting between the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Benedict XVI.
"We are not prepared to talk about the specific time or location of such a meeting," Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, told a press conference in Moscow.
The Russian Orthodox Church's stance on this matter remains invariable, and such a meeting "must be thoroughly and well prepared, and not only in terms of protocol formalities," he said.
"As late Patriarch Alexy II said on many occasions, we are not interested in the protocol meeting and shaking hands [between Patriarch Kirill and Benedict XVI] in front of the television cameras," Archbishop Hilarion said.
The meeting between the leaders of the two Churches should aim to "strengthen mutual understanding reached at the level of lower officials," he said.
Problems in inter-confessional relations in Western Ukraine are "currently the main but not the only issue" that is hampering the meeting, the Archbishop said.
Many Orthodox churches were seized by Greek Catholics in the early 1990s, he recalled, citing the statistics, according to which the number of Orthodox cathedrals in the Lvov diocese alone shrank from 1,329 to 48 over the past 20 years.
"We strongly disagree with those measures which saw the return of churches to Greek Catholics with no respect for the interests of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine," the Archbishop said.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16