13 January 2010, 10:32
Russian Orthodox Church tight-lipped about possible meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Benedict XVI
Moscow, January 13, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has said it is not willing to talk about details surrounding a possible meeting between the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Benedict XVI.
"We are not prepared to talk about the specific time or location of such a meeting," Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, told a press conference in Moscow.
The Russian Orthodox Church's stance on this matter remains invariable, and such a meeting "must be thoroughly and well prepared, and not only in terms of protocol formalities," he said.
"As late Patriarch Alexy II said on many occasions, we are not interested in the protocol meeting and shaking hands [between Patriarch Kirill and Benedict XVI] in front of the television cameras," Archbishop Hilarion said.
The meeting between the leaders of the two Churches should aim to "strengthen mutual understanding reached at the level of lower officials," he said.
Problems in inter-confessional relations in Western Ukraine are "currently the main but not the only issue" that is hampering the meeting, the Archbishop said.
Many Orthodox churches were seized by Greek Catholics in the early 1990s, he recalled, citing the statistics, according to which the number of Orthodox cathedrals in the Lvov diocese alone shrank from 1,329 to 48 over the past 20 years.
"We strongly disagree with those measures which saw the return of churches to Greek Catholics with no respect for the interests of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine," the Archbishop said.
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00