13 January 2010, 10:32
Russian Orthodox Church tight-lipped about possible meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Benedict XVI
Moscow, January 13, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church has said it is not willing to talk about details surrounding a possible meeting between the Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Benedict XVI.
"We are not prepared to talk about the specific time or location of such a meeting," Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, told a press conference in Moscow.
The Russian Orthodox Church's stance on this matter remains invariable, and such a meeting "must be thoroughly and well prepared, and not only in terms of protocol formalities," he said.
"As late Patriarch Alexy II said on many occasions, we are not interested in the protocol meeting and shaking hands [between Patriarch Kirill and Benedict XVI] in front of the television cameras," Archbishop Hilarion said.
The meeting between the leaders of the two Churches should aim to "strengthen mutual understanding reached at the level of lower officials," he said.
Problems in inter-confessional relations in Western Ukraine are "currently the main but not the only issue" that is hampering the meeting, the Archbishop said.
Many Orthodox churches were seized by Greek Catholics in the early 1990s, he recalled, citing the statistics, according to which the number of Orthodox cathedrals in the Lvov diocese alone shrank from 1,329 to 48 over the past 20 years.
"We strongly disagree with those measures which saw the return of churches to Greek Catholics with no respect for the interests of Orthodox believers in Western Ukraine," the Archbishop said.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07