21 January 2010, 14:01
Moscow City Court turns down lesbians' complaint
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the refusal of the city civil registration office to register a marriage of two Russian women, who legalized their relationship in Canada.
Irina Fedotova (Fet) and Irina Shipitko appealed to the Moscow City Court after the Tverskoy District Court had turned down their request, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
The women will now apply to the European Court of Human Rights, leader of the Russian sexual minority movement Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"The European Court will hear a similar appeal lodged by an Austrian couple on February 25, and that will create a precedent," he said.
The city civil registration office turned down the application of Fedotova and Shipitko on May 12, 2009, under the pretext that the Russian Family Code allowed only different-sex marriages. The Tverskoy District Court said that the denial was legal on October 6. The couple registered their relationship in Canada on October 23.
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00