21 January 2010, 14:01
Moscow City Court turns down lesbians' complaint
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the refusal of the city civil registration office to register a marriage of two Russian women, who legalized their relationship in Canada.
Irina Fedotova (Fet) and Irina Shipitko appealed to the Moscow City Court after the Tverskoy District Court had turned down their request, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
The women will now apply to the European Court of Human Rights, leader of the Russian sexual minority movement Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"The European Court will hear a similar appeal lodged by an Austrian couple on February 25, and that will create a precedent," he said.
The city civil registration office turned down the application of Fedotova and Shipitko on May 12, 2009, under the pretext that the Russian Family Code allowed only different-sex marriages. The Tverskoy District Court said that the denial was legal on October 6. The couple registered their relationship in Canada on October 23.
- U.S. policy of spreading same-sex family values to find no global support - Russian MP 30 June 2015, 18:09
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04
- Russia extradites Islamic Party of Turkestan extremist to Uzbekistan 22 June 2015, 17:40
- New attempts of the Ukrainian schismatics to set up a local church have no prospects, the UOC official believes 22 June 2015, 17:38
- Leader of Islamic Party is afraid to return to Tajikistan 22 June 2015, 10:40
- Archbishopric of Brussels and Belgium rejects Belgian courts' claims on its assets 22 June 2015, 10:13
- Lukashenko promises Patriarch Kirill to do his utmost to stop war in Ukraine 22 June 2015, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir printing house found in south Kyrgyzstan 19 June 2015, 18:10
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin predicts not more than two hundred years to native peoples of Europe if they won't return to their Christian roots 19 June 2015, 15:53
- Thirteen Salafi Muslims jailed in Tajikistan 19 June 2015, 15:47