21 January 2010, 14:01
Moscow City Court turns down lesbians' complaint
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the refusal of the city civil registration office to register a marriage of two Russian women, who legalized their relationship in Canada.
Irina Fedotova (Fet) and Irina Shipitko appealed to the Moscow City Court after the Tverskoy District Court had turned down their request, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
The women will now apply to the European Court of Human Rights, leader of the Russian sexual minority movement Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"The European Court will hear a similar appeal lodged by an Austrian couple on February 25, and that will create a precedent," he said.
The city civil registration office turned down the application of Fedotova and Shipitko on May 12, 2009, under the pretext that the Russian Family Code allowed only different-sex marriages. The Tverskoy District Court said that the denial was legal on October 6. The couple registered their relationship in Canada on October 23.
- Unidentified criminal threw three grenades to a church in Donbass 04 May 2016, 14:47
- Jewish people's answer to Holocaust should be growth and prosperity of Jewry - rabbi Lazar 04 May 2016, 14:43
- Diocese stands a 1.5 meter Easter cake decorated with a copy of the cathedral for Yakutsk residents to treat 04 May 2016, 10:05
- Easter cakes delivered to Russian soldiers in Syria 04 May 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates cosmonauts of the International Space Station on Easter 02 May 2016, 16:18
- About 4 million people prayed at night services in Russia - the Ministry of Internal Affairs 01 May 2016, 16:24
- Putin congratulates Orthodox Christians, all Russians on Easter 01 May 2016, 15:56
- Contact group calls for Easter ceasefire to be declared in Donbas - Gryzlov 29 April 2016, 17:03
- Three-fourths of Russians do not observe the Great Lent, but plan to celebrate Easter 29 April 2016, 14:14
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church complains to EU embassies, campaigners about religious organizations bill 29 April 2016, 10:03
- Christ would join Communists for May 1 demonstration - Zyuganov 29 April 2016, 10:02
- Russians now hope for God's help more - poll 28 April 2016, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill calls inflow of refugees to Europe "colossal challenge" 28 April 2016, 14:44
- UOC priest's wife killed in Dnepropetrovsk 28 April 2016, 11:10
- Russian Intelligence Directorate: Some govts attempting to use jihadists to overthrow al-Assad 27 April 2016, 18:19
- Georgian president pardons 95 prisoners for Easter 27 April 2016, 15:49
- Religious extremism propaganda in media and Internet to be punished by sentence of up to eight years in Uzbekistan 27 April 2016, 13:26
- Russian bikers deliver icons to churches of the Moscow Patriarchate in Africa 27 April 2016, 12:32
- Putin, Slovenian leader agreed to honor the centenary of the Russian chapel near Vrsic 27 April 2016, 10:02
- Chernobyl cleanup effort demonstrated unity between Russians, Ukrainians - Patriarch Kirill 26 April 2016, 15:52
- Poroshenko promises not to allow legalizing gay 'marriages' in Ukraine 26 April 2016, 12:52
- Museum director faces criminal charges of failing to return 16 icons from U.S. to Russia 26 April 2016, 10:01
- Ukrainian producer beats girls coming from a disco with pussy-willow branches 25 April 2016, 15:26
- Signatures for banning abortions to be collected in Russian churches 25 April 2016, 15:24
- Unknown individuals made an attempt to set fire to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate 25 April 2016, 15:06
- DPR authorities intend to lift curfew on Easter night 25 April 2016, 10:52
- Poroshenko calls for one united local Orthodox Church in Ukraine 25 April 2016, 10:25
- Cross in a church in West Ukraine starts bleeding, the church rector claims 22 April 2016, 17:41
- The Church welcomes reasonable critics of Pan-Orthodox Council's documents 22 April 2016, 15:15
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25