21 January 2010, 14:01
Moscow City Court turns down lesbians' complaint
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the refusal of the city civil registration office to register a marriage of two Russian women, who legalized their relationship in Canada.
Irina Fedotova (Fet) and Irina Shipitko appealed to the Moscow City Court after the Tverskoy District Court had turned down their request, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
The women will now apply to the European Court of Human Rights, leader of the Russian sexual minority movement Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"The European Court will hear a similar appeal lodged by an Austrian couple on February 25, and that will create a precedent," he said.
The city civil registration office turned down the application of Fedotova and Shipitko on May 12, 2009, under the pretext that the Russian Family Code allowed only different-sex marriages. The Tverskoy District Court said that the denial was legal on October 6. The couple registered their relationship in Canada on October 23.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Kiev 24 May 2016, 15:09
- Russian Church urges to international control over currency issue and criticized offshores 24 May 2016, 13:17
- Russia stronger than West because it has more perfect weapon, prayer - Patriarch Kirill 23 May 2016, 12:04
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- LGBT pride parade not held in Chisinau, its participates evacuated for security reasons 23 May 2016, 10:36
- Europe became a part of the Islamic world long ago, renowned political expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:32
- Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar aims at eliminating Syria as a secular state, an expert believes 23 May 2016, 10:29
- Residences of suspected ISIL recruiters being searched in St. Petersburg 20 May 2016, 11:53
- Ukraine's political conjuncture, church schism temporary - Patriarch Kirill 20 May 2016, 10:13
- Spread of same-sex marriage puts world in moral catastrophe - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:04
- Islamic radicals successfully recruit supporters due to increasing displeasure with Western policies - Zorkin 20 May 2016, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian Church destined to change Western attitude to Christianity - Patriarch Kirill 19 May 2016, 17:43
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Pavlensky given 1.5-year sentence for setting fire to car tires near the Savior on Spilt Blood Church in St. Petersburg 19 May 2016, 17:08
- Imams of five mosques detained in Tajikistan on extremism accusations 19 May 2016, 11:29
- American OSCE staff member in Donbass adopts Orthodoxy 18 May 2016, 20:39
- Odessa priest becomes the champion of Ukraine in powerlifting 18 May 2016, 11:57
- Sochi resident sentenced to 4.5 years for incitement to religious hatred in social media 17 May 2016, 15:12
- Homosexuals give up the idea to hold an action in Tbilisi fearing for their safety 17 May 2016, 10:00
- Every forth Russian woman, who turned to the Health Ministry consultative centers, refused abortion 16 May 2016, 17:17
- Most northern church in honor of St. Matrona of Moscow to be built in Yakutia 16 May 2016, 12:12
- Western Europe experiences moral catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 16 May 2016, 10:00
- Kremlin urges to immediately react on growing religious intolerance in the West 13 May 2016, 17:44
- Existence of Crimea outside of Russia was absurd, the Russian church official believes 13 May 2016, 10:00
- Poklonskaya announces arrest of four Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters in Crimea 12 May 2016, 18:38
- Tatarstan Islamist gets 16 years in prison for extremism 12 May 2016, 18:36
- Poroshenko believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will get autocephaly 12 May 2016, 18:04
- Russian Church is concerned with legalization of pedophilia 11 May 2016, 16:46
- Moscow mufti calls for elimination of IS from social networks 11 May 2016, 14:49