21 January 2010, 14:01
Moscow City Court turns down lesbians' complaint
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - The Moscow City Court has upheld the refusal of the city civil registration office to register a marriage of two Russian women, who legalized their relationship in Canada.
Irina Fedotova (Fet) and Irina Shipitko appealed to the Moscow City Court after the Tverskoy District Court had turned down their request, an Interfax correspondent reported from the courtroom.
The women will now apply to the European Court of Human Rights, leader of the Russian sexual minority movement Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"The European Court will hear a similar appeal lodged by an Austrian couple on February 25, and that will create a precedent," he said.
The city civil registration office turned down the application of Fedotova and Shipitko on May 12, 2009, under the pretext that the Russian Family Code allowed only different-sex marriages. The Tverskoy District Court said that the denial was legal on October 6. The couple registered their relationship in Canada on October 23.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48