28 January 2010, 14:43
Patriarch Kirill blesses Olympic team to protect Russia’s national dignity in Vancouver
Moscow, January 28, Interfax – Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia conducted a prayer service in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on Thursday for Olympic team in the run up to the 21st Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver.
According to the Interfax-Religion correspondent, over 250 sportsmen including members of the Olympic team and coaches came to pray.
Before the service, Patriarch Kirill told the guests that the country’s sport honor they were going to protect at the Games “is very important for our national self realization and dignity, especially when the country goes through difficult life’s obstacles.”
“People need victory as an important physiological factor that helps them realize dignity of the great country and the great nation,” Patriarch Kirill said.
He wished the sportsmen to preserve inner power which is important at most responsible moments of competitions and to accompany their strife for victory with prayer and faith in God’s help.
“You should be strong inside, concentrate and force yourself to do what people expect you to,” the Patriarch told the Olympic team.
Patriarch Kirill gave an icon of the Savior and his personal blessing to each sportsman and reminded that they could always pray in a special church constructed for Russians in Vancouver Olympic village, where the Icon of St. George the Victorious would be placed. Russian sportsmen will be accompanied by a priest.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church chapel in Zhitomir Region vandalized 23 January 2019, 14:00
- Patriarch of Jerusalem personally blesses canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers 22 January 2019, 17:59
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39