08 February 2010, 14:45
Prosecutor General's Office gets Caucasus Emirate operations in Russia banned
Moscow, February 8, Interfax - The Russian Supreme Court has banned the operations of Caucasus Emirate and labeled it as a terrorist organization.
It complied with a corresponding request from the Prosecutor General's office on Monday, an Interfax correspondent reports.
The Caucasus Emirate was founded in October 2007 by the then president of the self-proclaimed Chechen Republic of Ichkeria Doku Umarov. It is working for the formation of a state governed by Shariah law in part of the North Caucasus.
Law enforcers say that today the emirate is a secret Muslim separatist organization operating in Dagestan, Chechnya, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachayevo-Cherkessia. Its ideology is based on the ideas of Wahahbism and jihad.
The Caucasus Emirate has assumed responsibility for several high-profile crimes in Russia. It claimed that Umarov ordered the assassination of Ingush President Yunus-bek Yevkurov last summer. Yevkurov was badly wounded in the attack but survived.
Chechen separatists also assumed responsibility for derailing the Nevsky Express last November. They claimed than the operation had been conducted "in the framework of planned acts of sabotage at several Russian strategic facilities by way of fulfilling the orders of the Emir of the Caucasus Emirate Doku Umarov."
The movement also assumed responsibility for the murder of an Orthodox priest Fr. Daniil Sysoyev. It said an activist of the organization murdered Father Daniil for "insulting Islam".
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12