10 February 2010, 13:53
Moscow gay pride parade organizers complain to Strasbourg court
Moscow, February 10, Interfax - The organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade have complained to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban on the parade in the Russian capital on May 16, 2009, movement activist Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"On February 10, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade sent a complaint against Russia to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban of demonstrations and picketing in support of tolerance and respect for the rights and liberties of homosexuals in Russia and Belarus," Alexeyev said in a letter obtained by Interfax on Wednesday.
The complaint's authors claim the ban of the events organized by the gay movement violates the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, in particular Article 11 (right to freedom of assemblies), Article 14 (prohibition of discrimination) and Article 13 (the right for an effective remedy).
The organizers seek 200,000 euros in damages from the Russian government.
The European Court "continues to hear our complaints against the ban of three gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006, 2007 and 2008," Alexeyev recalled. "The Russian authorities have just ten days to lay out their position on these bans, as demanded by the Strasbourg Court," he said.
The ECHR is expected to issue a verdict in this case this year.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07