10 February 2010, 13:53
Moscow gay pride parade organizers complain to Strasbourg court
Moscow, February 10, Interfax - The organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade have complained to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban on the parade in the Russian capital on May 16, 2009, movement activist Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"On February 10, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade sent a complaint against Russia to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban of demonstrations and picketing in support of tolerance and respect for the rights and liberties of homosexuals in Russia and Belarus," Alexeyev said in a letter obtained by Interfax on Wednesday.
The complaint's authors claim the ban of the events organized by the gay movement violates the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, in particular Article 11 (right to freedom of assemblies), Article 14 (prohibition of discrimination) and Article 13 (the right for an effective remedy).
The organizers seek 200,000 euros in damages from the Russian government.
The European Court "continues to hear our complaints against the ban of three gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006, 2007 and 2008," Alexeyev recalled. "The Russian authorities have just ten days to lay out their position on these bans, as demanded by the Strasbourg Court," he said.
The ECHR is expected to issue a verdict in this case this year.
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02
- Eight Hizb ut-Tahrir figures arrested in Kazan 16 October 2014, 10:01
- Kazakhstan outlaws Al-Takfir wa al-Hijra 15 October 2014, 12:14
- Putin accuses human rights defenders of ignoring the persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 October 2014, 10:11
- Monument to Nicholas II to open in Belgrade 14 October 2014, 14:26
- Serbian Ambassador criticizes the West for lack of attention to the problem of destroying churches in Kosovo 14 October 2014, 13:43
- It is time to begin developing a system of Islamic education within the country's religious institutions - FSB chief 14 October 2014, 12:54
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05
- Schismatics occupy church in Ternopol Region of Ukraine 14 October 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate urges to stop violence and threats against canonical Ukrainian Church 13 October 2014, 17:05
- Exact copy of the main Sevastopol Cathedral to appear in Moscow 13 October 2014, 16:34
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- They try to deprive Russia of spiritual weapon, which is more powerful than nuclear one - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 09 October 2014, 13:56
- Integration of Crimean Tatars will be lengthy process - Mufti Gainutdin 08 October 2014, 17:39
- Muslims and Jews in Russia believe a four-day work week useful 08 October 2014, 14:04
- Expansion of religious extremism in Russia continues through "personnel" training in foreign Islamic centers - Russian Prosecutor General's Office 08 October 2014, 13:25
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin stands for four-day work week and high evaluation of distant work 07 October 2014, 15:42
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Putin for his care for people's spiritual wellbeing 07 October 2014, 13:28