10 February 2010, 13:53
Moscow gay pride parade organizers complain to Strasbourg court
Moscow, February 10, Interfax - The organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade have complained to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban on the parade in the Russian capital on May 16, 2009, movement activist Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"On February 10, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade sent a complaint against Russia to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban of demonstrations and picketing in support of tolerance and respect for the rights and liberties of homosexuals in Russia and Belarus," Alexeyev said in a letter obtained by Interfax on Wednesday.
The complaint's authors claim the ban of the events organized by the gay movement violates the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, in particular Article 11 (right to freedom of assemblies), Article 14 (prohibition of discrimination) and Article 13 (the right for an effective remedy).
The organizers seek 200,000 euros in damages from the Russian government.
The European Court "continues to hear our complaints against the ban of three gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006, 2007 and 2008," Alexeyev recalled. "The Russian authorities have just ten days to lay out their position on these bans, as demanded by the Strasbourg Court," he said.
The ECHR is expected to issue a verdict in this case this year.
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45