10 February 2010, 13:53
Moscow gay pride parade organizers complain to Strasbourg court
Moscow, February 10, Interfax - The organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade have complained to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban on the parade in the Russian capital on May 16, 2009, movement activist Nikolay Alexeyev said.
"On February 10, the organizers of the Moscow gay pride parade sent a complaint against Russia to the European Court of Human Rights over the ban of demonstrations and picketing in support of tolerance and respect for the rights and liberties of homosexuals in Russia and Belarus," Alexeyev said in a letter obtained by Interfax on Wednesday.
The complaint's authors claim the ban of the events organized by the gay movement violates the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, in particular Article 11 (right to freedom of assemblies), Article 14 (prohibition of discrimination) and Article 13 (the right for an effective remedy).
The organizers seek 200,000 euros in damages from the Russian government.
The European Court "continues to hear our complaints against the ban of three gay pride parades in Moscow in 2006, 2007 and 2008," Alexeyev recalled. "The Russian authorities have just ten days to lay out their position on these bans, as demanded by the Strasbourg Court," he said.
The ECHR is expected to issue a verdict in this case this year.
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42