15 February 2010, 16:36
Catholic mass to precede descent of Holy Fire this year
Moscow, February 15, Interfax – Rite of the Holy Fire descent will be conducted in Jerusalem after a Catholic service this year.
According to the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission website, head of the Old City police colonel Avi Roiv told about it at his meeting with a delegation from the St. Andrew the First-Called Foundation that has been long involved in transporting the Holy Fire from the Holy Land to Russia.
He noted that as western and eastern paschalia coincided this year, Catholics would traditionally be the first to celebrate the mass and the rite of fire descent would take place after it in its usual time.
Roiv added that though the Church of the Holy Sepulcher would not accommodate all comers, those who would not be able to get in could watch the divine service at TV screens set at the square. The descent of the Holy Fire will be broadcast live.
This year, Christians all around the world celebrates Easter on April 4.
The Holy Fire has appeared at the Lord’s sepulcher for many centuries shortly before Orthodox Easter. Eastern Christians are convinced the miracle of the Holy Fire proves the truth of the Orthodox faith as every Easter the Holy Fire appears at the Lord’s Sepulcher. The believers think the descent of the fire disapproves of any atheistic views.
- Significance of belief in God to Russia's development should be reflected in Russian Constitution - Klishas 28 February 2020, 19:33
- Leaders of Russia's leading religions support idea of mentioning God in Constitution 28 February 2020, 15:55
- One in 5 Russians prepared to give up meat during Lent - poll 27 February 2020, 19:53
- Churches to continue autocephality dialogue even if Constantinople refuses to participate 27 February 2020, 11:26
- Russian Church content with results of inter-Orthodox meeting in Amman 27 February 2020, 09:58
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58