13 December 2005, 09:40
Alexy II points to the importance of Russian-Iranian relations for building a multi-polar world
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - Development of relation between Russia and Iran fosters stability and prevents building a one-polar world, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said during his meeting with the Iranian parliament speaker Gholam Ali Haddad-Adel on Monday in Moscow.
'Your visit to our country is a symbol of ages-old friendship between the Russian and Iranian nations. It is my conviction that the development of relation between our two nations fosters stability throughout the world', the patriarch said.
He also noted that the presence of a Russian Church of St. Nicholas in Teheran is a vivid testimony of the existence of Russian-Iranian bonds. According to the primate, Orthodox believers have had an opportunity to worship in it for many years.
'The Russian Orthodox Church has kept up interreligious dialogue within Russia by every possible way as it is based on the desire to live in peace and respect for one another', Alexy II said.
According to him, the work of the Interreligious Council in Russia shows that 'it is only adherents to traditional religions, first of all the Orthodox and Muslims, who can give 'an appropriate response to the challenges of the time'.
The patriarch believes that the Islam-Orthodoxy joint Russian-Iranian commission is another example of cooperation between the two religions.
The primate is convinced that the world community should create favourable conditions for dialogue between the civilizations, especially at a time when some 'preach conflict between us'.
Alexy II reminded that the former Iranian president Muhammad Hatami is member of the Alliance of Civilizations, a group working under the auspices of the UN. Speaking about it, the patriarch noted that in Russia there is an interest in the work of this commission and a regret that Orthodox representatives have not been invited to work in it.
'I believe the Orthodox and Muslims are unanimous in the desire to prevent the building of a one-polar world, which would impose its own political and cultural models to all nations against their will', Alexy II said.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13