13 December 2005, 09:40
Alexy II points to the importance of Russian-Iranian relations for building a multi-polar world
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - Development of relation between Russia and Iran fosters stability and prevents building a one-polar world, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said during his meeting with the Iranian parliament speaker Gholam Ali Haddad-Adel on Monday in Moscow.
'Your visit to our country is a symbol of ages-old friendship between the Russian and Iranian nations. It is my conviction that the development of relation between our two nations fosters stability throughout the world', the patriarch said.
He also noted that the presence of a Russian Church of St. Nicholas in Teheran is a vivid testimony of the existence of Russian-Iranian bonds. According to the primate, Orthodox believers have had an opportunity to worship in it for many years.
'The Russian Orthodox Church has kept up interreligious dialogue within Russia by every possible way as it is based on the desire to live in peace and respect for one another', Alexy II said.
According to him, the work of the Interreligious Council in Russia shows that 'it is only adherents to traditional religions, first of all the Orthodox and Muslims, who can give 'an appropriate response to the challenges of the time'.
The patriarch believes that the Islam-Orthodoxy joint Russian-Iranian commission is another example of cooperation between the two religions.
The primate is convinced that the world community should create favourable conditions for dialogue between the civilizations, especially at a time when some 'preach conflict between us'.
Alexy II reminded that the former Iranian president Muhammad Hatami is member of the Alliance of Civilizations, a group working under the auspices of the UN. Speaking about it, the patriarch noted that in Russia there is an interest in the work of this commission and a regret that Orthodox representatives have not been invited to work in it.
'I believe the Orthodox and Muslims are unanimous in the desire to prevent the building of a one-polar world, which would impose its own political and cultural models to all nations against their will', Alexy II said.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54