13 December 2005, 09:40
Alexy II points to the importance of Russian-Iranian relations for building a multi-polar world
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - Development of relation between Russia and Iran fosters stability and prevents building a one-polar world, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said during his meeting with the Iranian parliament speaker Gholam Ali Haddad-Adel on Monday in Moscow.
'Your visit to our country is a symbol of ages-old friendship between the Russian and Iranian nations. It is my conviction that the development of relation between our two nations fosters stability throughout the world', the patriarch said.
He also noted that the presence of a Russian Church of St. Nicholas in Teheran is a vivid testimony of the existence of Russian-Iranian bonds. According to the primate, Orthodox believers have had an opportunity to worship in it for many years.
'The Russian Orthodox Church has kept up interreligious dialogue within Russia by every possible way as it is based on the desire to live in peace and respect for one another', Alexy II said.
According to him, the work of the Interreligious Council in Russia shows that 'it is only adherents to traditional religions, first of all the Orthodox and Muslims, who can give 'an appropriate response to the challenges of the time'.
The patriarch believes that the Islam-Orthodoxy joint Russian-Iranian commission is another example of cooperation between the two religions.
The primate is convinced that the world community should create favourable conditions for dialogue between the civilizations, especially at a time when some 'preach conflict between us'.
Alexy II reminded that the former Iranian president Muhammad Hatami is member of the Alliance of Civilizations, a group working under the auspices of the UN. Speaking about it, the patriarch noted that in Russia there is an interest in the work of this commission and a regret that Orthodox representatives have not been invited to work in it.
'I believe the Orthodox and Muslims are unanimous in the desire to prevent the building of a one-polar world, which would impose its own political and cultural models to all nations against their will', Alexy II said.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42