13 December 2005, 09:40
Alexy II points to the importance of Russian-Iranian relations for building a multi-polar world
Moscow, December 12, Interfax - Development of relation between Russia and Iran fosters stability and prevents building a one-polar world, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said during his meeting with the Iranian parliament speaker Gholam Ali Haddad-Adel on Monday in Moscow.
'Your visit to our country is a symbol of ages-old friendship between the Russian and Iranian nations. It is my conviction that the development of relation between our two nations fosters stability throughout the world', the patriarch said.
He also noted that the presence of a Russian Church of St. Nicholas in Teheran is a vivid testimony of the existence of Russian-Iranian bonds. According to the primate, Orthodox believers have had an opportunity to worship in it for many years.
'The Russian Orthodox Church has kept up interreligious dialogue within Russia by every possible way as it is based on the desire to live in peace and respect for one another', Alexy II said.
According to him, the work of the Interreligious Council in Russia shows that 'it is only adherents to traditional religions, first of all the Orthodox and Muslims, who can give 'an appropriate response to the challenges of the time'.
The patriarch believes that the Islam-Orthodoxy joint Russian-Iranian commission is another example of cooperation between the two religions.
The primate is convinced that the world community should create favourable conditions for dialogue between the civilizations, especially at a time when some 'preach conflict between us'.
Alexy II reminded that the former Iranian president Muhammad Hatami is member of the Alliance of Civilizations, a group working under the auspices of the UN. Speaking about it, the patriarch noted that in Russia there is an interest in the work of this commission and a regret that Orthodox representatives have not been invited to work in it.
'I believe the Orthodox and Muslims are unanimous in the desire to prevent the building of a one-polar world, which would impose its own political and cultural models to all nations against their will', Alexy II said.
- Moscow denies reports of its agreement with Israel to trade Alexander Metochion for Issachar's pardon 10 April 2020, 18:48
- Russian Church does not prohibit its parishioners to come to churches on Easter 10 April 2020, 18:46
- First Russian Orthodox Church clergyman dies of coronavirus 10 April 2020, 13:51
- Kremlin expects Israel to remain committed to decision on Alexander Metochion's handover 09 April 2020, 18:45
- Russian Muslim board allows burying coronavirus victims without ablution 09 April 2020, 15:03
- Russian clergy drive through New York with the cross against coronavirus 09 April 2020, 13:36
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan recovered from coronavirus and plans a charity concert in Moscow cathedral 09 April 2020, 12:27
- Putin congratulates Jews on Pesach 09 April 2020, 11:58
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55