04 March 2010, 11:59
Metropolitan Hilarion mourns for late parishioner of Nice Cathedral suffered for protecting unity of Russian Orthodoxy
Moscow, March 4, Interfax - Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion offers his condolences in connection with the death of Lydia Place, 76-year-old parishioner of St. Nicolas Cathedral in Nice.
"The thought that Lydia Fedorovna was unfairly and heartlessly barred from the Holy Communion for her honest and open position in protecting unity of Russian Orthodoxy intensifies the sorrow of losing the one who was so close to you ," the Metropolitan's message to late Lydia's son Jean-Mark Place reads as cited at the DECR website.
Metropolitan Hilarion noted that Place had worked to preserve "a wonderful Russian church" in Nice for many years.
"As I lift up my prayers for resting the soul of the late servant of God Lydia, I firmly believe that the Merciful Lord will accept her with love in His heavenly dwellings and crown her with eternal glory in His neverending Kingdom," the Metropolitan said.
The reason Place was excommunicated was her article A Russian Church of Surprising Beauty in the Russkaya Mysl paper dedicated to the parochial life of St. Nicholas Cathedral. Place said its Rector and clerics took a frankly Russophobe stance, they wished to "obliterate Russian traditions and eradicate them." As a result, in parish life, "anything that is Russian is blocked and restricted".
Soon after the article was published, the Archdiocese head Archbishop Gabriel of Comana excommunicated Place for indeterminate period. Besides, she was barred by correspondence as the parishioner received a registered letter from the Archbishop.
Place more than once requested Archbishop Gabriel to allow her communion. Other members of the Russian Orthodox community of France also wrote open letters to the Archdiocese head, but all their requests were left without an answer.
According to the Cathedral parishioners, Lydia Fedorovna Place complained of heart problems in recent months.
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57