05 March 2010, 13:53
Russian senators from Buddhist regions ask foreign ministry for visa for Dalai Lama
Moscow, March 5, Interfax - Senators from Buryatia, Kalmykia and Tuva, predominantly Buddhist internal republics of Russia, have asked the Russian Foreign Ministry to grant a visa to the Dalai Lama, so that he may visit Russia.
"We prepared an appeal to Sergey Lavrov asking him to give a visa to the Dalai Lama for a pastoral visit to Russia. All six senators from the three Russian regions where Buddhism is professed signed it," senator from Kalmykia Mikhail Kapura told Interfax.
Members of the Federation Council, the upper chamber of the Russian parliament, met with Buddhist leaders from Buryatia, Kalmykia and Tuva at which a decision to officially invite Dalai Lama to Russia was made, he said. "An official invitation, [from Buddhist organizations] which is considered a reason to issue a visa, was sent to His Holiness," Kapura said.
The senator pointed out the recent Dalai Lama's visit to the United States prompted a negative reaction from China. "Since Russia and China have strong neighborly relations and interstate agreements signed, we cannot fail to take into account the opinion of our strategic partner [on issuing a visa to Dalai Lama]. However, we cannot fail to take into account the desires of the people who profess Buddhism. Time is required," he said.
The Foreign Ministry has yet to reply to the senators' appeal, he said. "This shows that the issue is being discussed. This is a good sign," Kapura said.
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24