05 March 2010, 13:53
Russian senators from Buddhist regions ask foreign ministry for visa for Dalai Lama
Moscow, March 5, Interfax - Senators from Buryatia, Kalmykia and Tuva, predominantly Buddhist internal republics of Russia, have asked the Russian Foreign Ministry to grant a visa to the Dalai Lama, so that he may visit Russia.
"We prepared an appeal to Sergey Lavrov asking him to give a visa to the Dalai Lama for a pastoral visit to Russia. All six senators from the three Russian regions where Buddhism is professed signed it," senator from Kalmykia Mikhail Kapura told Interfax.
Members of the Federation Council, the upper chamber of the Russian parliament, met with Buddhist leaders from Buryatia, Kalmykia and Tuva at which a decision to officially invite Dalai Lama to Russia was made, he said. "An official invitation, [from Buddhist organizations] which is considered a reason to issue a visa, was sent to His Holiness," Kapura said.
The senator pointed out the recent Dalai Lama's visit to the United States prompted a negative reaction from China. "Since Russia and China have strong neighborly relations and interstate agreements signed, we cannot fail to take into account the opinion of our strategic partner [on issuing a visa to Dalai Lama]. However, we cannot fail to take into account the desires of the people who profess Buddhism. Time is required," he said.
The Foreign Ministry has yet to reply to the senators' appeal, he said. "This shows that the issue is being discussed. This is a good sign," Kapura said.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33