15 March 2010, 11:51
Georgian Patriarch slams Imedi TV provocation
Tbilisi, March 15, Interfax – Catholicos Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia expressed indignation and condemned actions of the Imedi TV company that mocked people.
Ilia II said at a Sunday Liturgy in the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in Tbilisi that "we slam such programs."
"I urge the authorities to pay attention to what has happened. It's absolutely impossible to leave any TV channel without control," the Patriarch stressed.
According to him, people were disoriented and believed it, thus the TV company insulted every person, insulted the army.
On March 13, Imedi broadcasted news that Russia had invaded Georgia, bombed its airports and ports, that three Georgian battalions had joined the Russians and President Mikhail Saakashvili was dead. The report, which also contained a simulated address by the Russian president ordering intervention of Georgia, was aired on the regular 8 p.m. bulletin.
The report sparked panic in Georgia with Imedi not making it immediately clear that the report was "only a simulation of how events might unfold." The Georgian emergency services received an unusually high number of calls in the ensuing minutes. The report was sharply criticized by the Georgian opposition and dozens of people gathered to protest in front of the Imedi building in Tbilisi.
- Russian courts imposed fines for gay propaganda only twice last year 29 June 2015, 18:20
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- St. Petersburg scientologists refused in registration 29 June 2015, 12:11
- Second attack on Orthodox church in month reported in Kiev Region 29 June 2015, 10:20
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Russians are now more loyal to sex before marriage than they were 25 years ago - poll 26 June 2015, 18:09
- Priest for the Far North wanted by the Russian Orthodox Church 26 June 2015, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill to perform funeral prayer for Yevgeny Primakov 26 June 2015, 16:56
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- European Islamophobia makes Baku think about leaving the Council of Europe 26 June 2015, 11:45
- Kadyrov: Islamic State has no chances in Chechnya 26 June 2015, 11:43
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Head of Armenian Catholic Church dies 26 June 2015, 10:00
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55
- Ukrainian Security Service reports detention of two Islamist women from Russia 25 June 2015, 15:01
- Only 3% of Russians said the main threat is from Islamic terrorists 25 June 2015, 12:31
- Church activists suggest making cases for gadgets with quotes from the Gospels 24 June 2015, 12:04
- Russian Security Council deputy secretary: the Middle East states should pray for Al-Assad 24 June 2015, 11:17
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of souls of Brest Fortress heroes 22 June 2015, 18:04
- Russia extradites Islamic Party of Turkestan extremist to Uzbekistan 22 June 2015, 17:40
- New attempts of the Ukrainian schismatics to set up a local church have no prospects, the UOC official believes 22 June 2015, 17:38
- Leader of Islamic Party is afraid to return to Tajikistan 22 June 2015, 10:40
- Archbishopric of Brussels and Belgium rejects Belgian courts' claims on its assets 22 June 2015, 10:13
- Lukashenko promises Patriarch Kirill to do his utmost to stop war in Ukraine 22 June 2015, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir printing house found in south Kyrgyzstan 19 June 2015, 18:10
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin predicts not more than two hundred years to native peoples of Europe if they won't return to their Christian roots 19 June 2015, 15:53
- Thirteen Salafi Muslims jailed in Tajikistan 19 June 2015, 15:47
- Russian Orthodox Church calls threats to seize its property in Belgium 'legal ignorance' (updated) 19 June 2015, 15:44