21 April 2010, 12:32
Orthodox churches in Kenya are dedicated to Russian saints
Moscow, April 21, Interfax – Orthodox community of Kenya is the most numerous on the African continent and consists of about a million parishioners from 35 million population of the country.
Today the Kenyan Diocese of the Alexandrian Patriarchate has about 200 churches, tens of church parochial schools and even a seminary in Riruta, suburbs of the Kenyan capital, NG-Religii paper writes on Wednesday.
Some of the village communities are so poor that priests have to celebrate services bare-foot in robes with holes. At the same time, Kenyan churches are full of parishioners on Sundays and feasts.
People stay in the church long after the services, they chant Christian hymns with African motives, dance and play tomtoms and bongs that are essential at the divine service in every Kenyan church.
Acting head of the diocese, Metropolitan Makarios of Kenya and Irinoupolis often dances with his parishioners.
Churches in Kenyan villages are usually made of wattle and daub, but big stone churches are being built in many villages, many of them are dedicated to Russian saints. The Metropolitan speaks Russian fluently and sometimes say prayers in church Slavonic language.
- Navalny's ally in Petersburg asks to recognize the Bible extremist literature 11 March 2014, 17:40
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Prayers for love and peace to be lifted up in all Crimean churches and monasteries 11 March 2014, 16:07
- Council of 15 local Orthodox Churches to be held in 2016 11 March 2014, 11:56
- Patriarch Kirill calls to speed up preparations for All-Orthodox Council 11 March 2014, 10:00
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54