27 April 2010, 16:18
Religious summit in Baku condemns terrorism
Baku, April 27, Interfax - Members of the Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist and Hindu communities from 32 countries condemned terrorism and any attempts to use religion for destructive purposes in a declaration adopted at the World Summit of Religious Leaders in Baku on Tuesday.
Russia's delegation to the summit was headed by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"People responsible for spreading death and destruction have been trying to use religion to disguise their goals. They have already started to formulate alternative 'theological theories' that justify murders along religious and ethnic lines. Those who finance terrorism or spread its ideology are behaving with greater cynicism," the participants in the summit said.
The religious leaders said that their calls to fight against this evil could be heard "only by people who are open to arguments of faith and common sense."
"Regrettably, hardened criminals understand the language of force much better. That is why religious-political doctrines that justify aggressive violence against the peaceful population must be banned all over the world, as many countries have banned Nazism," they said.
"At the same time, we know that one idea can be defeated only by another idea. That is why traditional religious communities are duty bound to prevent any distortions of religious values in favor of extremism and terrorism," the religious leaders said.
Among other threats facing the modern-day world, the participants in the summit mentioned poverty, social imbalances, drug trafficking, terrorism, armed conflicts, environmental problems, as well as attempts to strip nations of their identity, to push religion to the periphery of social life and to dilute ethic norms.
The religious leaders also welcomed recent UN and UNESCO initiatives aimed at promoting cooperation and dialogue between religious communities and politicians.
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill says optimistic about future of Orthodoxy in China 16 May 2013, 10:00
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Patriarch Kirill holds first in 50 years divine liturgy in Shanghai 15 May 2013, 11:58