05 May 2010, 10:05
Russian Orthodox Church accuses Europe of dual standards in freedom of expression
Moscow, May 5, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate is concerned by the fact that the freedom of expression in Europe often does not apply to religious communities.
"In the Western world today there is often the freedom to criticize any religious view, but at the same time tough censorship of religious symbols and religious approaches," Deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Hegumen Philipp (Ryabykh) has told Interfax-Religion.
That was his comment on the statement by Council of Europe Secretary-General Thorbjorn Jagland that the criticism of religions, "their myths and ideas" meet the European norms of democracy.
Religious views of various problems "very often are not regarded as equal to the views of people whose approach is based, say, on the findings of various sciences - both fundamental and humanities, and such views are attributed to the sphere of mythology which insults the stance of religious people," the clergyman said.
"Besides, the language of religion is censured in public life. Thus Christmas becomes simply a seasonal holiday. Christmas trees are kept out of public places and it has been suggested to remove the crucifix from schools," he said.
Thus Europe "that often demands openness, the freedom of expression restricts the right of religious people to be present with their opinions, and their vision of the world in the public sphere," he said.
Father Philipp called for guaranteeing the right of religious communities to freely express their points of view, for instance, on questions of bioethics or same sex marriages.
"If we succeed in building a society in which not only unreligious people and unbelievers can openly and freely express their stance, but also people with an alternative world outlook, it will truly be the desired result and desired situation in Europe," the clergymen added.
In an article written for the mass media Jagland said: "We cannot allow incitement to violence and hatred, but I vigorously defend both the right to criticize governments, political leaders, religions, their myths and their ideas, as much as the right of people to protest - peacefully - against such free expression, whether in articles, television programs, art or cartoons."
Freedom of speech and expression is the very essence of European identity, Jagland noted.
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02