05 May 2010, 10:05
Russian Orthodox Church accuses Europe of dual standards in freedom of expression
Moscow, May 5, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate is concerned by the fact that the freedom of expression in Europe often does not apply to religious communities.
"In the Western world today there is often the freedom to criticize any religious view, but at the same time tough censorship of religious symbols and religious approaches," Deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Hegumen Philipp (Ryabykh) has told Interfax-Religion.
That was his comment on the statement by Council of Europe Secretary-General Thorbjorn Jagland that the criticism of religions, "their myths and ideas" meet the European norms of democracy.
Religious views of various problems "very often are not regarded as equal to the views of people whose approach is based, say, on the findings of various sciences - both fundamental and humanities, and such views are attributed to the sphere of mythology which insults the stance of religious people," the clergyman said.
"Besides, the language of religion is censured in public life. Thus Christmas becomes simply a seasonal holiday. Christmas trees are kept out of public places and it has been suggested to remove the crucifix from schools," he said.
Thus Europe "that often demands openness, the freedom of expression restricts the right of religious people to be present with their opinions, and their vision of the world in the public sphere," he said.
Father Philipp called for guaranteeing the right of religious communities to freely express their points of view, for instance, on questions of bioethics or same sex marriages.
"If we succeed in building a society in which not only unreligious people and unbelievers can openly and freely express their stance, but also people with an alternative world outlook, it will truly be the desired result and desired situation in Europe," the clergymen added.
In an article written for the mass media Jagland said: "We cannot allow incitement to violence and hatred, but I vigorously defend both the right to criticize governments, political leaders, religions, their myths and their ideas, as much as the right of people to protest - peacefully - against such free expression, whether in articles, television programs, art or cartoons."
Freedom of speech and expression is the very essence of European identity, Jagland noted.
- Patriarch Kirill prays 'for healing of wounds of Russian immigration' at Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery 06 December 2016, 15:17
- Patriarch Kirill wishes for Russia, France to develop allied relations amid current political challenges 06 December 2016, 12:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Hollande, Patriarch Kirill discuss protection of Christians in Middle East, Ukraine crisis 05 December 2016, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill meets with French president 05 December 2016, 13:55
- ISIL cell leader involved in murdering imams eliminated in Makhachkala 05 December 2016, 13:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls on compatriots abroad not to cut spiritual, cultural ties with motherland 05 December 2016, 10:01
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25
- Group of Catholics in Argentine decide to covert in Orthodoxy after Patriarch Kirill's sermon 22 November 2016, 18:58