10 May 2010, 21:19
Patriarch Kirill conducts first thanksgiving prayer service for the Great Victory
*** To be winners is our great historical duty, the Russian Church Primate believes
Moscow, May 10, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia first time ever conducted a special thanksgiving prayer service for the Victory in the Great Patriotic War.
"We're not in the parade now, we're in the church, so let's pray to the Lord for our Motherland, for our people, veterans and certainly for repose of those who gave their lives in battlefields, in captivity, in prison, in hard labors," Patriarch Kirill said addressing Moscow clerics and believers before the service.
According to him, the Church always looks at the war "from a special angle of spiritual vision," as it is "a keeper of the great truth that everything in the world happens because good and evil are in touch."
Patriarch Kirill said that Russian people had to live through many misfortunes and sufferings in the 20th century, but "the Lord washed this lie and evil with the blood of our fathers as it more than once happened in the human history."
"We should understand that the Great Patriotic War had a redemptive meaning," the Patriarch said and added that this war "disclosed God's truth about ourselves, punished us for the sin, showing us strength and weakness of our people."
"We had strength to win and now we're bearing a great responsibility not to deviate from this great historical duty - to be winners," the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church said.
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00