19 May 2010, 18:19
Metropolitan Hilarion hopes that the meeting between Moscow Patriarch and Pope will happen during the tenure of current Primates
Moscow, May 19, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has once again indicated that the meeting between Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and Pope may be possible only upon eliminating contradictions in the Churches' relations.
"My idea is that this meeting should be held between Kirill and Benedict XVI in particular, rather than some patriarch and some pope," head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said Wednesday at a press conference on the days of Russian culture in Vatican, Russia-24 TV reports.
Meanwhile Metropolitan Hilarion admitted that there were outstanding problems of interchurch relation, in particular, the issue of Greek-Catholics in Western Ukraine.
According to him, however, the dialogue between the Churches continues. "People and times have changed," Metropolitan added.
A concert of Russian Orthodox music will be held in the Vatican's Paul VI Audience Hall on May 20.
The idea for the project appeared last autumn. On September 18 Metropolitan Hilarion had a meeting with the Pope. The two sides stressed the special significance of cultural ties between Catholics and Orthodox Christians in preserving traditional Christian values.
At the same meeting it was decided to hold Days of Russian Spiritual Culture in Rome in spring 2010. The Thursday concert will be the central event of the days.
- Vatican says Minsk could host talks on Ukraine with Catholic Church's mediation 15 December 2022, 21:36
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church receives over 70 orders banning its activity from Ukrainian local authorities in recent months 15 December 2022, 16:06
- Moscow receives apologies from Vatican for Pope's remarks about Russian people - Foreign Ministry 15 December 2022, 14:31
- Federal legalization of same-sex marriages in U.S. to lead to nation's degeneration - Duma Speaker 15 December 2022, 12:40
- Kremlin says receives no proposals regarding Christmas ceasefire in Ukraine 14 December 2022, 16:09
- Russian Federation Council votes to ban provision of surrogate mothers' services to foreigners 14 December 2022, 13:54
- SBU officials visit Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 9 regions of Ukraine – media 14 December 2022, 12:32
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Kiev's sanctions against Orthodox clergy absurd 13 December 2022, 18:41
- Ukraine's Rada lawyers find ban on Ukrainian Orthodox Church to contradict Constitution 12 December 2022, 14:33
- Kiev imposes sanctions against property management of Ukrainian Orthodox Church, heads of 4 dioceses 12 December 2022, 13:50
- Rada committee recommends passage of Ukrainian Orthodox Church ban 09 December 2022, 21:47
- Russian Culture Ministry to deny screening to films containing LGBT propaganda 08 December 2022, 20:47
- State Duma adopts bill banning services of surrogate mothers in Russia for foreigners 08 December 2022, 14:50
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned to Tretyakov Gallery's exhibition 07 December 2022, 22:19
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges Ukrainian authorities that attacks on Church unacceptable 07 December 2022, 18:21
- Belarus to enact death penalty for officials, servicemen on treason counts 07 December 2022, 13:31
- Ukrainian special services searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in Cherkassy, Volyn and Kherson regions - media 07 December 2022, 12:49
- Bill that allows seizing Ukrainian Orthodox Church's property submitted to Verkhovnaya Rada 06 December 2022, 15:49
- Putin signs into law bills banning LGBT and pedophilia propaganda in Russia 05 December 2022, 17:11
- Security Service of Ukraine searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in Poltava region – media 05 December 2022, 14:31
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05