21 May 2010, 12:56
A well-known Moscow missionary think Goths to be the most grateful flock
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - Rector of two Moscow churches Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) believes that young people who belong to a fashionable contemporary Goth subculture are sensitive to evangelical preaching.
"They are willing to come to church," Father Sergy said in an interview to the "Special Correspondent" documentary program aired on Russia-1 TV channel.
Hegumen Sergy called Goths romantic intellectuals, though susceptible to mysticism.
"They are quite cheerful and normal people, you just have to understand them," Father Sergy believes.
He told a story of two boys who once came to his church and named themselves as "Judas" and "Satan". They started to frequent the church, and believers asked Father Segy to insist that the boys change their nicknames. Father Sergy, however, paid no attention to such request, because he thought this matter was not that important.
Some time afterwards, he was approached by "Satan" who asked him to bless his cross. "Now, we have a "Satan" who is wearing a blessed cross," Father Sergy says with a smile.
A rock-club which is supported by the church keeps its own coffin, and if a believer wishes to lie down in this coffin for a while and think about death, he is not forbidden to do so, because many Russian saints used this practice. "The main thing, you should not forget that life is wonderful," Hegumen Sergy says.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56