21 May 2010, 12:56
A well-known Moscow missionary think Goths to be the most grateful flock
Moscow, May 21, Interfax - Rector of two Moscow churches Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) believes that young people who belong to a fashionable contemporary Goth subculture are sensitive to evangelical preaching.
"They are willing to come to church," Father Sergy said in an interview to the "Special Correspondent" documentary program aired on Russia-1 TV channel.
Hegumen Sergy called Goths romantic intellectuals, though susceptible to mysticism.
"They are quite cheerful and normal people, you just have to understand them," Father Sergy believes.
He told a story of two boys who once came to his church and named themselves as "Judas" and "Satan". They started to frequent the church, and believers asked Father Segy to insist that the boys change their nicknames. Father Sergy, however, paid no attention to such request, because he thought this matter was not that important.
Some time afterwards, he was approached by "Satan" who asked him to bless his cross. "Now, we have a "Satan" who is wearing a blessed cross," Father Sergy says with a smile.
A rock-club which is supported by the church keeps its own coffin, and if a believer wishes to lie down in this coffin for a while and think about death, he is not forbidden to do so, because many Russian saints used this practice. "The main thing, you should not forget that life is wonderful," Hegumen Sergy says.
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57